POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

This weeks project was a bit different than most. It was finally time to replace the shackles and springs on the trailer, and properly align the axles

I’ve had the trailer over 17 years and have slowly doing some improvements over the years. It’s on its second set of tires and they weren’t wearing all that well. It had an odd spring configuration with the springs for the front axle being 26 1/2” long while those on the rear axle were only 25 1/4” long

Another problem was the fact that there were no locating pockets for the spring center bolts on the bottoms of the axles. The previous owner had installed spacers under the axles so the only thing locating them was the tension of the U bolts.

I took it to a friends fabrication shop last Tuesday and started the process. We removed the axles and springs. Then cut off the shackles. The process of measuring for the new shackle was the trickiest. The frame wasn’t exactly square and the new springs were all 25 1/4” long. It took a while but we finally were able to find a solution.

The next steps were to weld locating tabs on the axles and position and weld on the shackles. We fixtured everything up and got to work. Fortunately our measurements were accurate. When we did a test fit for the springs they fit perfectly. The positioning of the axle tabs were also spot on. When the job was finished the axles were within less tan 1/32” of square, and even closer side to side.

I took it for a 20 mile test drive and everything worked out well. I put the box back on it yesterday and started loading it with leaves for another (and hopefully last) trip this season to the recycle center. Then it’s back to the cottage for winter storage.

This come thru my garage, it's an older fellow who leaves on the other side of the country, broke a Cv joint i also ended up changing the front brakes as well he had a stuck caliper and the brake pads worn steel to steel. Citroen xsara 2.0HDI (diesel) with 913000km on the clock, still on its original engine. He has changed 2 head gaskets because of overheating but the bottom end has never been out or opened and from me driving it around the block it still has all its 90 horses. Regular oil changes and driving it day and night from the places he said it's been all over europe.
403717585_3479206292393777_1003036376903336386_n.jpg

Sometimes the smallest of chores need attention . Brute force was needed on a very small stuck item just now , but she's done . :grin:
Those little hammers? That's not brute force... A 3 lb drilling hammer would be brute force, or a 5lb engineers hammer...
Those... you tickled it. :grin:

Those little hammers? That's not brute force... A 3 lb drilling hammer would be brute force, or a 5lb engineers hammer...
Those... you tickled it. :grin:
Just another PITA running to the garage for what I need . :(

I gotta agree with the above. Brute Force is the 20# Manhammer in the back of my service truck. Motivating is the 12# or 8# stubby. Anything smaller is nudging.

Just another PITA running to the garage for what I need . :(
OK, I know that I still need to get down to explore your "facility," but don't try convincing us that you don't have (at least) two of everything!

I have taken a break from building a SideBoard for my son. It's one of those projects from hell. I am just not into it.
So I need a mental break.

I decided to put the flooring down that I got from freecycle to replace my hard rubber mats. These are not like you get in most of the stores. These are hard rubber. The problem is they don't like OIL.

I am hoping that I like these. I haven't decided whether to lay a bead of glue on each interlock. I was really surprised how much crap went under the old rubber ones. Ton's of swarf, and apparently something else...

edit: OUCH.. there was some sharp swarf in the VCT tile joints. Really stuck in there. I made the mistake of running my hand over it, and it opened me good. Now taking a scraper and cleaning that out... Holy Crap.

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_172107861.jpg
    PXL_20231122_172107861.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20231122_172116408.jpg
    PXL_20231122_172116408.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231122_172643752.jpg
    PXL_20231122_172643752.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20231122_174950989.jpg
    PXL_20231122_174950989.jpg