POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I know this is going to sound weird/useless/GKW... BUT, I bought a 1/32 step set of R-8 collets to put drill bits in! I've been super happy with my set of center+spotting+stub+regular length in 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" sizes. A huge time saver...

I had a project recently where I totally ran out of daylight on my Rockwell. I solved it with a drill in an over-squashed collet. Thus, the motivation!
392b78f286c4e65140390735cb7ae0e7.jpg
1559680890f5dc7379cddfe3204c27f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I've been working on my outdoor track vehicle for some time and one problem I have is it's unstable on steep inclines which in this case is about 20 degrees. I have arranged the weight distribution, tried to lower the center of gravity, but the real problem is the short wheel base. The tracks are from a Craftsman snow blower I found on ebay. After I realized my problem, I took notice the operator was helping to balance the snowblower during use with the handle bars. I didn't see that coming. So my next stab at the problem is to make a wheelie bar. I thought I would so you guys what I have. I know it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg but...

I designed the thing around a spring I had in the shop. I didn't measure the tension but it's pretty stout. Could be a little stronger.
1701054760755.png
Yea look like a clothes pin but it's quite a bit larger.
1701054997393.png

1701055089699.png
The square stock is 1" x 1" and the square hole is 1/2" x 1/2". This was harder than I thought because the only end mill I had at least 1" long was a 1/4" rougher. I didn't want to flip it over thinking I'd never get it remounted exactly the same. I should have taken a picture of that. So I went as far as I could go with the rougher and filed the rest.
1701055650695.png

These are all the parts before assembly. I bought an onmi wheel thinking it would allow me to turn when the wheelie bar is engaged with the ground. The black wheels are fairly stiff. I've tried to work them loose, but still more stiff than I would like.

1701055986401.png

1701056031775.png

1701056083368.png

1701056161024.png

1701056197429.png

Hopefully I can get it bolted on next week and give it the acid test. Wish me luck.

I've been working on my outdoor track vehicle for some time and one problem I have is it's unstable on steep inclines which in this case is about 20 degrees. I have arranged the weight distribution, tried to lower the center of gravity, but the real problem is the short wheel base. The tracks are from a Craftsman snow blower I found on ebay. After I realized my problem, I took notice the operator was helping to balance the snowblower during use with the handle bars. I didn't see that coming. So my next stab at the problem is to make a wheelie bar. I thought I would so you guys what I have. I know it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg but...

I designed the thing around a spring I had in the shop. I didn't measure the tension but it's pretty stout. Could be a little stronger.
View attachment 468356
Yea look like a clothes pin but it's quite a bit larger.
View attachment 468360

View attachment 468361
The square stock is 1" x 1" and the square hole is 1/2" x 1/2". This was harder than I thought because the only end mill I had at least 1" long was a 1/4" rougher. I didn't want to flip it over thinking I'd never get it remounted exactly the same. I should have taken a picture of that. So I went as far as I could go with the rougher and filed the rest.
View attachment 468362

These are all the parts before assembly. I bought an onmi wheel thinking it would allow me to turn when the wheelie bar is engaged with the ground. The black wheels are fairly stiff. I've tried to work them loose, but still more stiff than I would like.

View attachment 468363

View attachment 468364

View attachment 468365

View attachment 468366

View attachment 468367

Hopefully I can get it bolted on next week and give it the acid test. Wish me luck.
Video!!

@Chip Hacket
Nice work.

Purpose of the vehicle?
In all honesty the real purpose is just to have fun. I tell my wife it's intended purpose is to patrol the parameter of our house and alarm us of guest whether it be wanted or not. We will also be able to remotely drive the vehicle around and watch the wild animals at night in their natural state. Of course she will need to OK the purchase of a proper infrared camera which will allow me (uh her) good images in the dark.

@Chip Hacket
For exterior patrol, make it look like a tree stump or a bolder. :grin:

I've seen a plethora of the animal spy camera shows on PBS (Nova or Nature or???). Fantastic stuff.

I know this is going to sound weird/useless/GKW... BUT, I bought a 1/32 step set of R-8 collets to put drill bits in! I've been super happy with my set of center+spotting+stub+regular length in 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" sizes. A huge time saver...

I had a project recently where I totally ran out of daylight on my Rockwell. I solved it with a drill in an over-squashed collet. Thus, the motivation!
392b78f286c4e65140390735cb7ae0e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Where’d you find the oversize LocLine for the vacuum?

EDIT: Found it: Zoro has all the pieces - now I have something to use my 20% Cyber coupon on!!

Last edited:
Back