POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I had one come in once with two primary O2 wire connectors mixed up and plugged into the wrong sensor. Didn't code, ran mostly ok, but not really. Took a while to find the problem. had two sensors in different places in the same manifold and it confused the ECU as to fuel management per cylinder.

Here the biggest problem is bad mechanics. To fix one thing they break three others. The shaff i've seen and heard incompetent mechanics do its scary.

Well the saga continues. Wife goes out and the car throws the same error..
Brings it in to Toyota and they tell us that a mouse has made a home by the gas tank infill and chewed through the hose. part is on back order, $420 ... for an infill pipe??? WTF.. 860 installed. I can install it myself, but still..... And why does it have to disable All wheel drive????
They tell me to talk to insurance...

There'll be green pellets hauled around, for a while.

A lot of guys make a T out of 2" pipe, with a cap on the middle leg of the T. Then put the bait there. That keeps pets and other larger critters from getting into them.

You probably don't need a 5gal pail... ...But I've seen the better part of 4 lbs go away before the problem goes away.

There'll be green pellets hauled around, for a while.

A lot of guys make a T out of 2" pipe, with a cap on the middle leg of the T. Then put the bait there. That keeps pets and other larger critters from getting into them.

You probably don't need a 5gal pail... ...But I've seen the better part of 4 lbs go away before the problem goes away.
my problem with that is the animals that eat them die. my neighbors dog is a little terrier that hunts the squirrels, and mice. I don't want to kill her.

IMG_20220310_102711502.jpg
Finished machining a clone cutter head for a size I did not have, could not find, and could not afford if I did stumble into it. This 9/16" cutter head is for a Stanley 77 dowel cutter. The internal threads were a challenge since it was my first time cutting away from the head on the back side. That technique seemed desirable because of the few threads being cut. The bolt that holds the cutter head is an antique size that McMaster Carr happened to have a tap for, 12-24 and they got it to southern Indiana in less than 24 hours! Wow! Yes, pricey. I was practicing "precision" games and am pleased with the outcome. It cuts beautifully and is a good workout.
DanK

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_102726018.jpg
    IMG_20220310_102726018.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220310_112211396.jpg
    IMG_20220310_112211396.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
So yesterday morning the fabrication shop manager hands me a broken bolt.
Can you make this?
Sure
We need it overnight
Ok
We need two
No problem (secretly sweating do I have any suitable material?)

This is a bolt that holds a cable pulley inside the boom of a zoom boom.
I did up a drawing just for my person use, good drawings make good parts.
For the lathe work I did a double ender, this works great.... refine your dial setting for a fearture on the first side then flip and the second side is a no brainer.
I held the work in a collet chuck to mill the hex.
I was able to deliver this morning, customer is happy and I get some insert money.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• brocken.jpg
    brocken.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 47
  • double ender.jpg
    double ender.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 43
  • milling.jpg
    milling.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 43
Well the saga continues. Wife goes out and the car throws the same error..
Brings it in to Toyota and they tell us that a mouse has made a home by the gas tank infill and chewed through the hose. part is on back order, $420 ... for an infill pipe??? WTF.. 860 installed. I can install it myself, but still..... And why does it have to disable All wheel drive????
They tell me to talk to insurance...
well, I decided to take a look... First, they never properly re-assembled it. 3 plastic nuts and 2 plastic push button screws missing. Fing crappy mechanics...
Left all the mouse **** in there.
I vacuumed it out, the hose was completely eaten... my original feeling and yours that the gas cap was not the problem is confirmed by my findings. I guess they hoped it would solve it. Anyway, went to a different dealer and we were looking over the parts. I saw what I needed, but there were 4 different sets of parts for my wife's vehicle. I said I'll take that, he said he could not sell it to me without the vin... And it's on backorder. Looking at the parts it looks the same.. There's one part that $768... Holly Shnikes... as my son used to say when he was little. I go back to the car, and my wife has the VIN so I walk back in... Nope, I need the whole assembly... I don't want the whole assembly, I only need the plastic tubing... I can't sell it to you.

F.. so off to tractor supply. I had a measurement of the outter diameter of the tube 16mm or .628.. close enough to 1/2 id I figure. So I buy a couple of 1/2 to 1/2 barbed connectors, and a 1/2 tubing by the foot. They only had vinyl braided in 1/2 but WTH...
I pick up some JB Weld for plastic just in case... At home I have some stretch and seal silicone tape... It fuses to itself... I should have all I need.. hopefully.
Get home and only need the 1/2 barb and the stretch and seal. I cut the hose apart took out the bad section put the barb in, wrap it in the silicone so that it seals. The solid end is a good fit but the corrugated is loose to I figured the stretch and seal should make a good seal.
didn't take a pic of the final, but damn toyota... If I get another error, I'll see about ordering the part online, maybe I can get past the VIN nazis.
20220311_140624.jpg20220311_140946.jpg20220311_162905.jpg

The one they had at the local HomeDepot was 86.00... I will install a 5.00 valve for now... 10.00 when I added the elbow and 4" pipe...
I also got a free compressor, 5hp, 2 stage, 80 gal. The pressure switch failed so I replaced it with a 125psi to give me a little safety margin.

For a drain I put a fitting at the bottom and fixed the valve on the side of my workbench with tubing run to a convenient spot.

John

Back