POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Heated my house with a Fisher Grandma Bear for many years. There good stoves. Mike

f350ca

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
My aunt has a Fisher, maybe a little bigger in her basement. I cut her wood for years, till some of her other family told her she was too old to be firing the stove. Ho, she was only about 86 at the time. Got her in the side by side atv this summer and took her up her late uncles hunt camp. We figured it had been about 55 years since we were there on snow mobiles one weekend. I was a kid then, she turns 91 in 2 months, great lady, up for anything.

Greg

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Glad thats over with.
Poured the footings for the new shed, 17 bags of portland latter.
Poured the base Wednesday, stripped the forms yesterday and moved them up for a 6 inch knee wall.
Thank god for friends, had one stop in both days to give the young lad and I a hand.
Senior citizens should know beter than doing this lol
View attachment 380474

The mixer does a full bag at a time.

View attachment 380478

Greg
I appreciate your work ethic!
I would just call the concrete truck.
Looking good!!

f350ca

On a small pour like this I honestly think its easier mixing it. Would have to wheel barrow the cement from the truck to the forms, not fun, and could do it in two pours to save forming material. Plus, with the building boom going on its not easy to schedule a truck, let alone for a part load.

Greg

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Nice job on the cart. That's a great little welder, I have the same unit, and mostly keep .023 wire in it, as I have bigger machines for .030 and up. being 120V it's very handy for remote work.

Quote: Trying to learn MIG welding, so my first real project was a welding cart. Have a bunch of lab table legs that I've been moving out of the way for years and slowly repurposing as the need arises (see the grinding table in the background of the first photo). A pair of them became the starting point for the sides of the cart. I suspect I created my own learning trial by fire using them, since the walls are rather thin and very easy to burn right thru, but it was a great learning experience.

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My first MT2 taper!

So, I'm in the process of making tailstock tap/die holder for my Micro-Mark 7X16 mini-lathe. The first step was to cut the MT2 taper on a piece of steel. I never cut a precise taper before and I was a little anxious. I think it came out very well for a mini-lathe. It seems to fit snugly in the tailstock. The finish isn't great, but it will be functional.

I put a MT2 dead center between the headstock and tailstock and adjusted the angle of the compound until it was parallel by using a dial indicator. I was within 0.001" over the length of the taper. This is not easy as anyone with a mini-lathe can attest. The compound slide has to be unscrewed enough to get to two screws underneath that tighten it. Adjust it and retighten. Then, move the slide again across the taper. Rinse and repeat until you get it.

Plus, I was having a real tough time turning the compound handwheel. I tried loosening the gibs, but it had no affect. I finished the cut and then looked at the compound in more detail. With the gibs out, I was still having trouble moving the compound. There must be some grit/debris in the screw mechanism. I just ordered a M10X1.25mm tap and die to clean up everything.

But, overall I'll claim success on this!

IMG_6135.jpg

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My first MT2 taper!

So, I'm in the process of making tailstock tap/die holder for my Micro-Mark 7X16 mini-lathe. The first step was to cut the MT2 taper on a piece of steel. I never cut a precise taper before and I was a little anxious. I think it came out very well for a mini-lathe. It seems to fit snugly in the tailstock. The finish isn't great, but it will be functional.

I put a MT2 dead center between the headstock and tailstock and adjusted the angle of the compound until it was parallel by using a dial indicator. I was within 0.001" over the length of the taper. This is not easy as anyone with a mini-lathe can attest. The compound slide has to be unscrewed enough to get to two screws underneath that tighten it. Adjust it and retighten. Then, move the slide again across the taper. Rinse and repeat until you get it.

Plus, I was having a real tough time turning the compound handwheel. I tried loosening the gibs, but it had no affect. I finished the cut and then looked at the compound in more detail. With the gibs out, I was still having trouble moving the compound. There must be some grit/debris in the screw mechanism. I just ordered a M10X1.25mm tap and die to clean up everything.

But, overall I'll claim success on this!

View attachment 381155
Changing the compound angle in a mini-lathe is a major pain. One has to totally remove the compound assembly by unscrewing it all the way off, making the adjustment, and screwing it all the way in again. If you have tightened up your gibs, as most of us have done trying to reduce chatter, it's a bit of work cranking it on and off. Getting a taper right on a mini is just plain time consuming. Making it harder is there are no subtle adjustments. Tap and pray. My hat's off to you, I know how much work that was.

Steve-F

Registered
Registered
I got around to finishing a Hemingway Ball-Turner knock off, less the engraving on the adjustment screw, may or may not do that ;) I haven't test driven it yet, and still some touch up grinding on the cutting tool.

Attachments

• Ball-Turner-3.jpeg.png
    Ball-Turner-3.jpeg.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock