POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

mksj

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had made a set-true type ER40 chuck many years ago, but wanted to add a screw in stop system for the back of the chuck so when repeating parts they would all be the same length. When I made the ER40 chuck I threaded the back with a 1.25-20 thread, which is the same as the outer thread of the 5C collets. Stop system is 5.5" of CR1018 bar stock that I had, through drilled with a 3/4" MT3 drill and then bored out one end to 1.001" to a depth of 3" with a 5/8" carbide boring bar, and threaded that end. CR1018 is a bit more challenging to get a good finish/threads, but depends on the inserts/speed. The threads were cut at 600 RPM, boring at around 1200 RPM with a sharp positive rake CCMT insert. The center adjustment rod is 3/4" O1 steel, it can be flipped for different tips, and also threaded for additional size tips. I milled a flat fon the adjustment bar for the 3/8-24 allen set screw and milled the head flat so it locks in securely without digging in. I also have a through the spindle stop system, and use that if I need to adjust the part depth with the chuck mounted. Was a nice afternoon project.

ER40 Stop.jpg

f350ca

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The weather has been co-operating and progress is being made.
Spent a good part of today squaring up the first sections then pinning all the joints and braces to lock it in place.
IMG_4522.jpeg
Thanks for watching
Greg

f350ca

Thanks, retired, with more time than money, so I can take the time to do it traditionally. Stick framed, the building would be up in a fraction of the time, BUT I'd have had to buy the lumber and sheeting. This building will come completely off the sawmill. Except for the cement and steel roof lol

Greg

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
My first MT2 taper!

So, I'm in the process of making tailstock tap/die holder for my Micro-Mark 7X16 mini-lathe. The first step was to cut the MT2 taper on a piece of steel. I never cut a precise taper before and I was a little anxious. I think it came out very well for a mini-lathe. It seems to fit snugly in the tailstock. The finish isn't great, but it will be functional.

I put a MT2 dead center between the headstock and tailstock and adjusted the angle of the compound until it was parallel by using a dial indicator. I was within 0.001" over the length of the taper. This is not easy as anyone with a mini-lathe can attest. The compound slide has to be unscrewed enough to get to two screws underneath that tighten it. Adjust it and retighten. Then, move the slide again across the taper. Rinse and repeat until you get it.

Plus, I was having a real tough time turning the compound handwheel. I tried loosening the gibs, but it had no affect. I finished the cut and then looked at the compound in more detail. With the gibs out, I was still having trouble moving the compound. There must be some grit/debris in the screw mechanism. I just ordered a M10X1.25mm tap and die to clean up everything.

But, overall I'll claim success on this!

View attachment 381155
Looks great.
Have you blued it?

f350ca

The neighbour is back from the arctic and gave the young lad and I a hand this aft. The frame is up, still some pins to go in but the basic shape is there.
IMG_4524.jpeg

The tractor doesn't have the reach to get the beams up, so made this extension, works great. Used some scrap I had, should have been a MUCH thicker wall tube but it did the job.
IMG_4525.jpeg

Once again, thanks for watching

Greg

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
The neighbour is back from the arctic and gave the young lad and I a hand this aft. The frame is up, still some pins to go in but the basic shape is there.

The tractor doesn't have the reach to get the beams up, so made this extension, works great. Used some scrap I had, should have been a MUCH thicker wall tube but it did the job.

Once again, thanks for watching

Greg
Looking good Greg, what's missing in these shots Greg???? Saddie, your faithful sidekick...:love: So to me it looks like something is missing.

Did you build that work cart in the background? I guess no heat in the winter :eek 2:

f350ca

Had to check, she usually gets in the shot. Sure enough she's off to the right in yesterdays picture lol
Thats my take on a mule. Was watching I think it was Full Metal Jacket one night and saw this vehicle in the back ground. Rewound and paused, had never seen one before, a bit of Googling and I found the Mule built by Willys.
My version is only 2 wheel drive. Used the hydrostatic drive out of an old Cub Cadet garden tractor. Think I posted a build on it here a few years ago. Gets used a lot around the yard. Will haul about a half cord firewood from the processor up to the pile.

Greg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock