POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Weldingrod1

Registered
Registered
Joined
Oct 14, 2013
Messages
613
Wow! Made the same hair clips!
Also, working through a pile of Hardinge taper scales. Volunteering for one has led to five or six...
7052fd1eb29ac3404f8f3e585f7ed89a.jpg
da1e4b43700de493ba2532739198b0c2.jpg
0541184793327d6cb6d482ba95207e1a.jpg


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
 

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
364
Little production run of a part on my Tormach 1100MX. Have been prototyping and making all one-off parts so far. Great to test the repeatability of this machine today in some Grade 5 Titanium. 60 parts, 180 holes with counterbores, 120 tool changes, and 30 engravings. Happy with the cycle time at 4:03 of actual machine cycle time and 6-7 minutes total time. As always, some great learning. Really loving this Tormach so far.

 

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
1,971
POTD was making a new plastic for a circa 1980 Williams Firepower pinball machine. This particular pinball was a pretty big seller, something like 17,000 of them made back in the day. Features were voice and multi-ball.

I picked up the game a while back and noticed during some preventive maintenance that a corner was broken off one of the plastics. The Firepower was a pretty popular machine, there's a website from an enthusiast with nice schematics, scanned instructions, and scans of the plastics.

I took a shot making a replacement by printing the broken one on our color laser printer. Then used a glue stick to attach it to a piece of 1/8" lexan (original plastic was 0.080" thick). Didn't show any of the "machining", but drilled the attaching holes with a hand drill, rough cut to the line on a band saw, and sanded to the line with a belt sander.

Looks pretty decent on the game, not perfect, but you'd have trouble telling it's a replacement.

Thanks for looking, Bruce


Color laser printed image on top, broken plastic at the bottom
20211003_133151.jpg

New plastic at the bottom. Used a glue stick on the surface of the printed image to stick it to the 1/8" lexan, then sanded to the boundary line.
20211003_135929.jpg

My replacement is the one on the right
20211003_140340.jpg

All good now
20211003_140401.jpg
 

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2015
Messages
2,501
Love the old machine. I remember going to Sears and playing the Gargoyle pinball machine all the time.
 

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
364
@BGHansen That is a great looking repair job. If you trim off the white from your printout and leave it just clear around the edge I think it would be even harder to tell it from the original. What a fun game to have at home.
 

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
3,148
Made a clamp tool to hold a section of a die to hopefully make a thread chaser.
multi start holder 1.jpg
The front bolt tightens the clamp, the sides prevent the die bit from turning or sliding sideways and the rear bolt cantilevers the clap upwatrd exerting more pressure on the die bit.
multistart 2.jpg
Here is a test cut in plastic of a four start M1 thread, I've stopped one pass so you can see the four simultaneous threads.
It seems good, smooth, no rough bits but I dont yet have the nut to test it.
plastic thread.jpg
One change I should make is to re-shape the bit to cant the thread angle more in keeping with the M4 thread angle.
Its too shallow at the moment but did still work well.
 

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
3,148
One change I should make is to re-shape the bit to cant the thread angle more in keeping with the M4 thread angle.
Its too shallow at the moment but did still work well.
quick update, it worked fine on aluminium but not on stainless.
I will see what the new angles do when I get that done.
 

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2013
Messages
3,066
made a new countershaft and motor pulley for my SB9, both to reduce motor pulley slip (J6 to J8 belt) and reduce countershaft pulley speed
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
and static balanced on my ghetto rig
IMG_0395.JPG

works a treat, no vibration, spindle speeds are down ~20% and slip is reduced a bit though I still need to use backgears for low speed/ high load cuts. Onto the next project!
 
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
Top
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock