POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
made a new countershaft and motor pulley for my SB9, both to reduce motor pulley slip (J6 to J8 belt) and reduce countershaft pulley speed
View attachment 381704
View attachment 381705
and static balanced on my ghetto rig
View attachment 381706

works a treat, no vibration, spindle speeds are down ~20% and slip is reduced a bit though I still need to use backgears for low speed/ high load cuts. Onto the next project!
Looks great, but why would you want to reduce the speed? I'm probably late to the game here.

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
good question - I'm running a treadmill motor and want to keep the max spindle speed to ~1500rpm. WIth what I had intended to be the middle pulley ratio (about 1:1) the top spindle speed would be nearly 2000rpm, which is both way too fast for comfort and would make the large spindle pulley kinda pointless. So slowing down the countershaft speed will help get me closer to the range I want and now that it's done I can calculate the countershaft step pulley diameters and start making them :)

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Well i've been gone for half a month, i had a emergency trip to Athens, Greece i made the trip in my brothers Ford. Which was a mistake, it managed to burn thru 7 liters of engine oil in 1500 Km. But just as i come back i could see white elephant no: 2 was waiting for me in the small garage. My brother managed to drop the engine out of it, in the process broken a coolant line and left it to drain coolant in the inspection pit for days. In the picture the engine was future down i raised it immediately because only thing holding it was the battery positive lead. The repair was simple, i only threaded the mount with a bigger tap drill it deeper also, reinstalled everything new hose ( 20 year old one but not broken) new coolant and it was back to use. I'm not sure how or where this car broke but my brother maned to buy one more car a GM now.
IMG_20211007_162106333333333333.jpg IMG_20210928_225016.jpg IMG_20210929_181126.jpg

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Well i've been gone for half a month, i had a emergency trip to Athens, Greece i made the trip in my brothers Ford. Which was a mistake, it managed to burn thru 7 liters of engine oil in 1500 Km. But just as i come back i could see white elephant no: 2 was waiting for me in the small garage. My brother managed to drop the engine out of it, in the process broken a coolant line and left it to drain coolant in the inspection pit for days. In the picture the engine was future down i raised it immediately because only thing holding it was the battery positive lead. The repair was simple, i only threaded the mount with a bigger tap drill it deeper also, reinstalled everything new hose ( 20 year old one but not broken) new coolant and it was back to use. I'm not sure how or where this car broke but my brother maned to buy one more car a GM now.
I'd be looking for a new brother :grin:

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I'd be looking for a new brother :grin:
It's the roads and the loose nut behind the wheel, he jump railroad tracks a bit fast and when he landed white elephant could not hold its belly. I'm more afraid of the GM (general motors) he just bought, they brake all the time.

francist

Active User
Some days a guy just gets lucky….

This is what was left of a flat-head #7 screw seized inside the barrel of the crank lobe after I torqued the head off trying to horse it out. Eyeballed the first hole in with a #54 drill then pulled it out with a #51

1634091654033.jpeg
1634091706376.jpeg

Some days a guy just gets lucky… :)

Last edited:

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
It never fails, newly purchased car to broke with in the first week. This one managed to do it twice with multiple failures one if with i still can't fix. I know it was trouble when i've seen it. For those that don't know this is an Opel Astra H 2006 with the isuzu 1.7 diesel engine, its made by GM. I got a call from my brother, i've lost power steering all the light come on the dash, with the indicators dash lights dim. I ask him is it still running, yes- drive it straight to the small garage you have a dead alternator. When i got back from work the battery was dead 8,4v so i put it on a charger, started inspecting and seen it has a new alternator but i noticed one of the small bolts that are for the rectafare seem away from the housing. Got a wrench tighten them they were loose, removed, clean and tight the power wires and control wires and it come back to live. But then the central locking is not working also the electric boot is also dead, i've spent hours and still can't get it working it seams to be the CIM module but i can't confirm that and they aren't cheap to just replace it and pry it fixed the issue. With that fix out of the way my brother continue to drive it. Day after that i see it park in front with a big leak under it. It blow coolant and steam on him in skopje, he had a shop there look at it and told him he needs a new water pump, hoses, thermostat housing, expansion tank, he could tell that they they named the entire cooling system. So he got out of there, keep adding water and got back. Diagnosing it was a bit difficult because it's very crampt but i maneged to find to two hoses roted and blown, i had new ones in my spares and some G12 antifreeze on a shelf i also use screw type hose clamp and fixed it in less then an hour.
IMG_20210930_191027.jpg IMG_20210930_191049.jpg IMG_20210930_210247.jpg IMG_20210930_210254.jpg IMG_20210930_211847.jpg IMG_20210930_213657.jpg

francist

Active User
I don’t suppose anyone noticed my seized screw from yesterday was a left-hand thread, eh? I sure didn’t. At least I didn’t cotton on until I kept taking more and more passes but it still wouldn’t start in the part — then the penny dropped. Guess that’s why I couldn’t get it out in the first place…

Anyway, all was not lost and I ran another blank and put the threads on the correct way this time, here’s the finished screw. I used 4140, diameter is somewhere around a #7 (0.0140”) and the thread is 40 tpi.

1634168073221.jpeg
1634168110884.jpeg

-frank

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock