POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Back home for the first time since the beginning of August and I've fixed the washing machine. Drain hose fell off = no clean underwear for the ladies of the house :)
IMG20231218141613.jpgIMG20231218144152.jpg

Next up is replacing the battery in my daughter's laptop then replacing the oil pressure sensor in the Fungus

Maybe you could weld a nut to it. The heat will loosen the crud, then you might could lever it out with a pry bar. I would be wary of anything that would alter the location of the locating pin. Every thousandth at that index point will magnify into eighths of an inch at the tailstock. Pretty risky.
I think you're missing the point. If you go back to where he pried up the head, he provided a picture (and text) indicating that the fat end of the pin sank substantially into the head casting. That means to me that the pin wasn't doing it's intended job in the first place. It was loose in the HS casting. He wrote that he lightly (paraphrase) pried, so no way that would sink a properly installed #6 taper pin.

IMO, the headstock alignment will need to checked and set as part of the final assembly procedure. THEN the hole re-reamed and a new pin set.

The hole in the headstock casting is not reliable as is.

Maybe you could weld a nut to it. The heat will loosen the crud, then you might could lever it out with a pry bar. I would be wary of anything that would alter the location of the locating pin. Every thousandth at that index point will magnify into eighths of an inch at the tailstock. Pretty risky.
I agree but, I'd put a big countersink/conical hole in a piece of plate and weld that. It would offer more protection for the ways. In reality, it's 6 of one and 10 of the other!

cbbecd2493746e38d247815118b944f9.jpg

Not machining, rather fabrication. Finished 6 columns that will go on the back patio of our house replacing 24x24” stucco columns that my wife wanted gone.
These are 3x3x3/16” tube. Ends are .24” plate.

Dropped them off at the powder coater.

b2e4b1fa1f13ccf5d0d0ec0f1efcdec0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A bunch of cleaning up around the project to make room for a bit more welding.

Bought one of the Everlast MIG machines. I'm really liking that machine. Bunch of nice features that the Lincoln SP140 was missing. It's an inverter welder, 120/240, 200A, burn back setting, and ARC force setting. Volts and IPM are displayed in real units. It displays weld amps, but you need someone else watching that when it's running. That arc force really helps it dig into the base metal and get a good puddle going.

Well see how long it lasts, but for as much as I use it, I could justify another if it ever quits. It was pretty inexpensive.

Happy with the welds. I could have run just a bit more metal on the termination, but otherwise it felt like a good hot weld going in.

Next step will be to flip them over again, and get the rest of the outside corners. Then flat for the web welds.

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_211232103.jpg
    IMG_20231219_211232103.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20231219_204555999.jpg
    IMG_20231219_204555999.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 44
Back