POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Turns out the threads were 1/2-12, which was a real bummer as I have both left and right hand 1/2-13 taps :(

So I single pointed them, using a piece of hex from a scrapped paper shredder
IMG20231220131321.jpgIMG20231220133028.jpgIMG20231220133037.jpg
Made some flange washers from alu and found a couple of brass washers in my collection. Used the buffing wheel to polish them up
IMG20231220153811.jpg
All done. I'll probably put a deburring wheel on the other end
IMG20231220153958.jpgIMG20231220154004.jpg

A bunch of cleaning up around the project to make room for a bit more welding.

Bought one of the Everlast MIG machines. I'm really liking that machine. Bunch of nice features that the Lincoln SP140 was missing. It's an inverter welder, 120/240, 200A, burn back setting, and ARC force setting. Volts and IPM are displayed in real units. It displays weld amps, but you need someone else watching that when it's running. That arc force really helps it dig into the base metal and get a good puddle going.

Well see how long it lasts, but for as much as I use it, I could justify another if it ever quits. It was pretty inexpensive.

Happy with the welds. I could have run just a bit more metal on the termination, but otherwise it felt like a good hot weld going in.

Next step will be to flip them over again, and get the rest of the outside corners. Then flat for the web welds.
My Tig machine is an Everlast. I have been happy with it but never used anything else for tig so my opinion is baseless. I have thought about one of their mig machines myself as my craftsman unit has seen better days. I’d really like a burnback option.

Nice looking welds.

1/2 -12 wow.. I've never seen a grinder with air holes. Usually enclosed. Dayton's are generally good motors. How's it run?
You have nice nuts... the ones you turned on the lathe buddy... get your head out of the gutter.
Took me a while to believe that thread, checked it seven ways to Sunday and that was what it was! Runs nice and smooth, no vibration, little bit of noise maybe from the second hand bearings but otherwise just fine.

My Tig machine is an Everlast.
I bought their TIG with all the knobs. Power TIG 250 Ex. I really like that also. The analog knobs is what sold me on it.

Having all those features is really nice. It's helped me weld things I don't think you could easily do without the bells and whistles. (1mm wall aluminum tube with a solid slug in it. Needed automatic pulse to keep from blowing the tube away ...)

I have thought about one of their mig machines myself as my craftsman unit has seen better days. I’d really like a burnback option.
I was never happy with the Lincoln. No matter what I did, it didn't weld like I thought it should. Never had that problem with the power mig 200. It just does what I tell it. It does run better on 240V than 120V. But it will do small stuff with .025 wire. My problem with small wires is that I bought the 15' stinger upgrade. I think the wire springs around too much with the added length. Should probably just order a shorter one for small wire.

I bought their TIG with all the knobs. Power TIG 250 Ex. I really like that also. The analog knobs is what sold me on it.

Having all those features is really nice. It's helped me weld things I don't think you could easily do without the bells and whistles. (1mm wall aluminum tube with a solid slug in it. Needed automatic pulse to keep from blowing the tube away ...)

I was never happy with the Lincoln. No matter what I did, it didn't weld like I thought it should. Never had that problem with the power mig 200. It just does what I tell it. It does run better on 240V than 120V. But it will do small stuff with .025 wire. My problem with small wires is that I bought the 15' stinger upgrade. I think the wire springs around too much with the added length. Should probably just order a shorter one for small wire.
I have had the 210EXT, at least 8 years now. Would like the extra amperage from a 250. Of course that would really mean a water cooled torch to use fully. Also have their 60 amp plasma cutter.

Looking at the 262 Cyclone MIG.

Back