POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Got cart done for new shop bandsaw.
Could not figure out the pic 3rd from last with the teeth. It didn't look like a band , so maybe I was looking at the results of it running off the wheel?

Are those plastic wheels, or cast iron on the cart? if plastic, how much does that bandsaw weigh?

Thanks, it was a fun little task. Any day on the mill, and/or the lathe is a good day. The tie rod ends on my 755 Ford have been on there 45 years, along with all the pins and bushings. They all have zerks and get greased regularly. Other than the backhoe bucket pins everything is still in good shape after 9000+hrs. Grease is a lot cheaper than hard parts, not to mention all the labor involved. Remember when pretty much everything had grease fittings. Cynical me thinks just maybe the corporate powers just want to sell us more stuff/services. Mike

Good job Mike! That should make them last a lot longer.

Re: the added grease zerks:

If they get used.
emoji4.png
I know mine do not very often, and I know why they should get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only when they make cherrie jelly. Company specializes in jams and jellies.

Brownwood farms?

I lived in Elk Rapids for 10 years….

John

Could not figure out the pic 3rd from last with the teeth. It didn't look like a band , so maybe I was looking at the results of it running off the wheel?

Are those plastic wheels, or cast iron on the cart? if plastic, how much does that bandsaw weigh?

That picture is of the band blade on the drive wheel. The teeth point down towards the saw frame. You can see the groove where the blade was running off the wheel into the frame.

Cast iron wheels. I was going to make a cart for work from this frame I picked up couple years ago, but never got around to it. I had to cut it down a bit for this saw, and glad I kept it. Although I spent probably 5 or more getting the wheels apart, cleaning and freeing up the bearings.

I think I could have bought new wheels for like $15 each. Boss is getting ready to order me 4 sets for new work carts.

Saw weighs in about 1100 pounds according to manual. It did make my skid loader a bit light in the back end.

American Spoon Food in Petoskey Mi.

I’ve resided all my 52 years in Petoskey/ Alanson

Nice, there are some good small producers in that part of the world.

John

@ArmyDoc - That's some fine smith work. Are those tongs made out of two pieces of square stock? What size?

I’ve resided all my 52 years in Petoskey/ Alanson
As I frequently say to my wife, "_____________? Hey, I've been there!" [fill in the blank with "Petoskey" in this case. Stayed at the Bay Inn if I remember correctly. Beautiful area, but a little difficult to get to (probably one of the reason's it's so nice).

Our CEO/Marketing Director and I visited Kilwins at least ten years ago and gave them a proposal for designing the remodel of the grocery store they turned into their new manufacturing facility (unfortunately didn't get the work).

R
Modified three tie rod ends for the ongoing tractor project. You would think ag equipment would come with grease fittings, but none on old ones which were completely worn out, and none on the new ones either. Set them up on the mill, spot drilled, drilled, and tapped 1/8" npt. Had to grind down a second tap to get high enough on the tapper to get decent thread engagement. Mike

View attachment 473344View attachment 473345
Really old ones have grease fittings pressed into the sheet metal cap opposite the tapered stud. I suspect that leaving out the grease fitting got somebody a bonus from management.

Back