POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

We had a guy in our shop that made models for everything DOD . 1000's of models were sent out to contractors over the years . Every one of his models had a Budweiser can and a scantilly clad girl in them . Some were hidden , some were visable . Tim Geslaus was the envie of the shop . Answered to the CEO only . Painted ladies on multiple planes over the years for the DoD . Got paid VERY well for his talents . Only guy I knew that had a Harley Sportster in an apartment 4 floors up . He made up all the models for any car manufactures for cassette decks and cd players . A stoner that made it big time .

yep. San Antonio is vicious on anything to do with water as it sits on a limestone aquifer. Got all the faucets and showerheads descaled too!

Doing a lose fitting of parts and installing bushings
IMG_7574.jpeg
Paint job is pretty rudimentary but it covers the metal
IMG_7567.jpeg
New bearings are working out.
IMG_7577.jpegMight get it back together today depending on how cold the garage is.

I don't know if I've ever gotten a reply from one of those "Contact Us" email options.
NICE brand is under RBC Bearings Inc. Try corporate HQ at 203-267-7001.
I'm curious what a tech rep would have to say about the oversized bores.
Bearing markings match the box so just poor quality control by Nice.

Have had mixed success with contact Us email also. I use as a litmus test of customer service out of curiosity at times or when I not in the mood to be on the phone. Why offer it up if it's not managed?
Have bearings now and McMaster-Carr will have much greater leverage with Nice than I would, will let them deal with it.

Todays project was to finish cleaning up the mill, finish the splash-sheets underneath and clean out the sump.
For some reason I always forget just how messy this gets. :hate:
Had to bend plastic pipes to try and dislodge all the mess in the tank in the mills foot, vacuum out the large lumps, flush with hot water etc etc.
IMG_8344.JPG

The coolant tank is open on the rear of the machine and I've placed a fan on one of the "inlets" to air it out properly for once before I start using things again.
IMG_8343.JPG

Can't remember the last time it was this clean. :grin:
IMG_8345.JPG

Needed a mill manual tap with longer handles. I have interchangeable tap heads, but for larger taps I needed a bit more leverage. The tap body is 1.5" O1, the inner hole is stepped 5/8" for the tap head and then a 1/2" step for the guide pin that fits in the mill chuck. The arms are 3/8" O1 and 5" long. The body of the tap rotates on the guide pin, and pulls down the spindle as it advances. If I need extra height I can fit the guide pin into a R8 1/2" collet. I use mostly spiral body or spiral point taps, but they need to be guided. On the lathe I use the same tap heads with an adjustable clutch type system which has been working very well.
Large Mill Tap Wrench 1.jpg
Large and Small Mill Tap Wrench.jpg
Large Mill Tap Wrench 2.jpg

Needed a mill manual tap with longer handles.
Looks good. I use the same kind of taps and mostly power tap @ 60rpm. Just finish up with a tap handle. I've got a big tap handle that came in a set so no shortage of leverage. A clutch might be a nice safety.

I finally addressed some of the safety issues in my shop. I posted some emergency warnings that are way overdue. I think it is important to be prepared. I am not sure if these are OSHA approved but they look good.

1705285291690.png

Last edited:
Back