POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Whoo, Jamie... You've got structures with names that I don't even know what they mean. I wouldn't know a lanai if one fell on me, and I can't tell a pergola from a gazebo or even a trellis. Thank god those questions aren't on a field sobriety test.

One thing I know we have in common... nobody ever will say to either of us, "son, you need yourself a hobby!"

Seriously... no more. I will organize, start to finish the car projects... I might let go/sell one (or two) of the cars just to gain some space. Need to get rid of the rail buggy as well... I do not want any more car or motorcycle projects. If I buy something else, which I doubt, it will be a finished and running whatever.

I have many projects that will keep me busy after that. Got all the Hemmingway, D. Gray Drafting and Design (@Doug Gray ), MLA, Eccentric Engineering kits waiting in line. I need to get those done. Got several projects for the CNC plasma cutter... still need to finish the CNC milling machine... I tell you; it is a long list of pending projects...
I have no room to talk. Or should I say I have room for plenty more projects before I run into that space issue, but my list of pending projects is similar.

Jamie, I think that when you are finished, you should consider opening a theme park, JamieLand! Kinda like Disneyland.
A magical place for guys like me. A place where I can see cool tools in action. You can keep me behind the glass as long as the smell of cutting fluid and solvents can swirl around me and a little swarf puffs out occasionally. Oh!, the vending machines serve cold adult beverages.

I have many projects that will keep me busy after that. Got all the Hemmingway, D. Gray Drafting and Design (@Doug Gray ), MLA, Eccentric Engineering kits waiting in line. I need to get those done. Got several projects for the CNC plasma cutter... still need to finish the CNC milling machine... I tell you; it is a long list of pending projects...
But Jamie, then you will have to dream up a new tag line!

I’ve been needing to machine the T-nut for my CXA toolpost for months, and have making do with a piece of 2“x1/2” flat bar. But I installed the milling adaptor for my lathe to get this done. I clamped a toolmaker’s vise in the milling adapter just to get decent jaws, and then indicated it in. That took some doing. Then, I clamped the T-nut into the vise and machined it with a 4-flute HSS end mill held in a 4C collet.

Only one real problem was when the milling attachment started to turn in the compound clamp—I needed to tighten the compound clamps much more. That caused the end mill to dive into the work in a spot, but it wasn’t a fatal flaw.

I was able to make .020 cuts with the tip of the end mill, and .010 cuts when side milling. Some vibration that undermined surface finish, but completely acceptable outcomes for most purposes. I used conventional milling for the cut, and then a climb milling spring pass. I ran the spindle at the lathe’s top speed of 1100 RPM, and the bit came away still sharp.

But it takes a LOT of setup.

IMG_1324-dsqz.jpeg

IMG_1325-dsqz.jpeg

Rick “not as many pics as usual” Denney

I’ve been needing to machine the T-nut for my CXA toolpost for months, and have making do with a piece of 2“x1/2” flat bar. But I installed the milling adaptor for my lathe to get this done. I clamped a toolmaker’s vise in the milling adapter just to get decent jaws, and then indicated it in. That took some doing. Then, I clamped the T-nut into the vise and machined it with a 4-flute HSS end mill held in a 4C collet.

Only one real problem was when the milling attachment started to turn in the compound clamp—I needed to tighten the compound clamps much more. That caused the end mill to dive into the work in a spot, but it wasn’t a fatal flaw.

I was able to make .020 cuts with the tip of the end mill, and .010 cuts when side milling. Some vibration that undermined surface finish, but completely acceptable outcomes for most purposes. I used conventional milling for the cut, and then a climb milling spring pass. I ran the spindle at the lathe’s top speed of 1100 RPM, and the bit came away still sharp.

But it takes a LOT of setup.

View attachment 478867

View attachment 478868

Rick “not as many pics as usual” Denney
Nicely done!

Jaime "when is Rick Denney going to get a milling machine" Díaz

Back