POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Not in the Shop, but close by (and at one point I was thinking it would have been better to drag it into the Shop to save walking back & forth for tools):

Wirk™ Exercise Bike:
Wirk Bike.jpeg
I got this from Sam's ($180 delivered, list price was over $300) during the shutdown so I could get steps in when it was too cold to go outside (and you couldn't go anywhere else), and it has worked well other than the "computer" that calculates miles, speed, etc.; all I cared about was steps which are recorded by an app on my phone, so when the computer crapped out a few months ago I didn't really care. However, the other day it started making a tick-tick-tick noise that was driving me crazy: something was rubbing inside the housing.

"Hey, I can fix this!" But I hadn't calculated the effort required to get at the innards: almost an hour later I had the plastic shroud off, which required removing the pedal cranks (with the exception of rubber pedals, seat, feet and desktop, the base bike was factory assembled); and this was the hard part – I needed an impact driver (almost had to resort to my 1/2" battery impact wrench) and a puller to get the damn things off the tapered shafts. Once the shroud parts were finally off, I replaced the pedal cranks:
Pedal Cranks Back On.jpeg

and tried to replicate the sound; I figured it was the proximity sensor being hit by it's magnet since the tick occurred at the same place in the rotation, but it could also be the magnet at the resistance wheel:

Bike Guts Annotated.jpeg
For those not aware, most exercise equipment uses an Aluminum disk/wheel and an adjustable magnet to develop variable resistance (an excellent example of Lenz's Law; there are plenty of other videos on YT, and be happy I didn't use a link to the scientific details instead).

Anyway, it wasn't either – I couldn't get it to make the sound. I'm guessing that in my gentle efforts to remove the shrouds I knocked whatever was causing the problem out and it was swallowed by the Matrix. Satisfied that I had "fixed" the problem, I reassembled the shrouds, after first cutting slots for the pedal shafts so I wouldn't have to fight with them ever again (Don't worry, I covered the slots with tape so stuff wouldn't get in there, included little fingers):

Reassembled Bike.jpeg

On the plus side (other than a successful "repair" & reassembly), I ate up a significant portion of my steps for the day chasing tools.

Made a little more space I hope . The surface plate and possibly the hydraulic press may go tomorrow . :encourage: That way I can move more in ! :grin:

it could also be the magnet at the resistance wheel:
I was given a similar one but w/o any computer. I put it in front of my computer when I'm mainly reading. Set resistance at 7 of 8 and pedal until I'm tired or hungry. It helps drive down my blood glucose levels. I'd rather be riding my bike on the trails. But I'm a fair weather kind of exerciser.

I was given a similar one but w/o any computer. I put it in front of my computer when I'm mainly reading. Set resistance at 7 of 8 and pedal until I'm tired or hungry. It helps drive down my blood glucose levels. I'd rather be riding my bike on the trails. But I'm a fair weather kind of exerciser.
The “computer” was a glorified stopwatch; the reason I got this one is that it didn’t have a screen so I could use a laptop or iPad. I use the bike or an elliptical at the fitness center to keep current with YT. When I can walk outside I catch up on my shows on Classic Radio.

Little miniproject. Got this ryobi belt grinder as a gift a few years back.
Unfortunately it's jumped off the bench a few too many times(I am quite clumsy and reckless, something I'm working on. :hate:)
The "sword" cracked and lost it's linear guide so it's no longer useable.
IMG_8565.JPG

I'm too sentimental so I figured I could probably repair it.
Filed off the cracked bit completely and made this little attachment to fill the same function.
IMG_8615.JPGIMG_8616.JPG

I need to slim it down a bit where the black cover goes up against it but otherwise it seems to work quite well!
The black cover has 2 sliding surfaces as well and when you pull the sword back to change belts they get a bit caught on the new piece, hence I need to slim it down a bit and smooth the "entry" for the sliding surface.s
IMG_8617.JPG

IMG_8565.JPG
What comes to screwdrivers, you're clearly a man of culture!

I decided I wanted a ball burnishing tool for the lathe so this was the end result. The pin is too long and I made a shorter one but I wanted to try it out, so that was it. I tested on some CR stock, it takes very little pressure to get a decent result.

Attachments

• DSC05650.JPG
    DSC05650.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05651.JPG
    DSC05651.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC05652.JPG
    DSC05652.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC05653.JPG
    DSC05653.JPG