[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
made a poly V pulley for my lathe treadmill motor to remove the flywheel (too much inertia and a nod to MaxHeadRoom :)). Also put in 2 steps to give me a little broader speed range (bit lower and somewhat higher).

installed

works a treat to reduce inertia, slows down considerably faster after turning it off or reducing speed. Still some vibration and motor bounce at lower motor speeds, so I'll replace the belt with a name brand one to see if that fixes it.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i put in some good 10 hours working, welding in the big garage. I spend good time welding on the wheel spacers, i also made door shims for adjusting the doors, i'll have to buy chamfered bolts because i had to drill out the old ones, i'll look for stainless ones with allen key slot. Because my welder is little on the cheap side it overheats easily so i had to wait for it to cool down several times, so i worked on the air filter housing there are couple of ways to get the LPG (propane) in the engine and using a spreader is the best but there is no space to mount it under the filter box. So after lots of measurements cutting threading i made this i think this is the best solution, i'll have to paint the filter housing to mach the rocker cover i also fill the fuel tank with the fuel i got yesterday also transferred some LPG in the high pressure tank (not fun). The plan is to mount the doors and get it fired up tomorrow.
IMG_20190711_165142.jpgIMG_20190711_151533.jpgIMG_20190711_193157.jpgIMG_20190711_172923.jpgIMG_20190711_183720.jpgIMG_20190711_193153.jpg

NCjeeper

When we order something we save the boxes and store them in the attic. I went up there today to get a box and I saw this sticker on a box in a the pile. I had to remove it and save it. I think most of you can relate.
:) GOPR3730.JPG

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i started to work on the Little Niva very early. I started with mounting the drivers door, i had to heat the hinges to bend them and then to use the shims i made yesterday but was finally able to get it in the middle of the door opening. The early nivas are almost all handmade and it shows, the door is 5 mm too small for the opening, and is twisted , i used all kinds of levers and jacks to get it in this place and closing it is like closing a shed it needs a good hit. After this my neighbors woke up so first i did a systems check and fill the cooling system with coolant, i use -35 degrees celsius antifreeze, i pump the fuel up to the carb yes the russians have put a manual lever undernight the mechanical fuel pump to do this with, then i turned the key and it fired right up, i can tell the starter is much happier with this wiring because is turning at the right speed. I installed the instrument panel temperley to monitor the temp and the rpm and after few adjustments on the idle the little niva is running like a champ, it came up to temperature cooling fans kicked in and the exhaust sounds good, not too loud but has that growl when the second barrel on the carburetor opens. I forgot to mention i visited alamos all hardware stores in my city and managed to find the right stainless bolts for the doors and i'm glad the Niva is a 2 door, because the bolts ware expensive. From here on it will be much quicker progress, i hope you like seeing the little niva go back to life.
IMG_20190712_145433.jpgIMG_20190712_145441.jpgIMG_20190712_145459.jpgIMG_20190712_141352.jpgIMG_20190712_141407.jpgIMG_20190712_141342.jpg

mattthemuppet2

A tip from another member lead me to thinking that positively tensioning the motor belt (instead of using the motor weight to do so) would fix the motor bouncing and vibration and it did. I'm REALLY happy with this now :)

In the low speed setting, forgot to take a picture in the higher speed sheave

this shows how the other bolt is clear of the motor plate in the other position

checked the speed ranges in the middle range of the spindle pulley:
250-1500rpm low
450-2600rpm high

both in direct drive, so back gear would drop those considerably. Nice to have options, even nicer to get rid of the flywheel and not have any motor vibrations!

mmcmdl

Staff member
This morning I found my Hardinge 5C indexer on the tractor seat in the driveway . My buddy borrowed it over 2 years ago and I forgot all about it until a recent thread on here reminded me of it . It's back home now and will be cleaned up once again .
:)

Rick Berk

Active User
Registered
WILTON BABY BULLET RESTORED AND MODIFIED. Here is my latest completed project, a 1971 baby bullet. I cleaned all the weld splatter, wire wheeled to bare metal and painted with PPG Concept. made a SS mounting plate and used SS button heads then trimmed to correct length rather than putting nuts on the back side. Made a brass bullet to replace the freeze plug, this required placing in a 4 jaw as the hole is offset. Bore till it cleaned up then made the brass .005 oversize, placed a piece of plastic wrap over it mixed up some pig putty an set a 1" diameter punch to flatten. When hard I pressed it in. Made two new copper jaws and replaced the 10-32 philips heads with SS Allen bolts. Turned down a 5/8 SS rod for the acme screw threaded one end and made a identical button for the opposite end placing O-rings on each end as bumpers. I used Moly grease on the Acme threads and red bearing grease on the barrel. After 45 + years of use it now ready for the new generation. BABY BULLET 001.jpgBABY BULLET 002.jpgBABY BULLET 003.jpg

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Well done! Cool vice. Although I am familiar with several Wilton vices, I’m not familiar with this model. Just how big is it?

Chuck the Grumpy Old Guy

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
My wagon has 4 wheels, two doors and a lot more things in it. Today the weather changed, we got few rainstorms but more important the temperature dropped, and that increases the productivity greatly. First i put the engine bay back together, installed the freshly painted and modified air cleaner installed new air filter and installed the splash shield under the engine, i had to cut a hole in one for the fan switch to clear i also install the LPG valve for adjusting the mixture. Then i focused on the passenger door, it took me half as long as yesterday, because my expectation wore a lot lower. Than i went underneath install a speedo cable because it was missing, checked all the bolts i've installed. And then i had to fill both front and rear diffs, gearbox, transfer box with oil so i got a big water bottle filled it with oil and used an oil tank pump to pump it, this was way less messy than other cars i've done, the height makes a lot of difference. I did fire it up in the air checked all the 4WD locks, high and low range got the new oil circulated. Then i started to put the wheels on and let it down on the ground, i drove it backwards and forwards to swipe under it, today i finished a lot of things on the little niva in short time i hope everything goes like this from here on.
IMG_20190712_151316.jpgIMG_20190712_151414.jpgIMG_20190715_154725.jpgIMG_20190715_154706_1.jpgIMG_20190712_160527.jpgIMG_20190715_153906.jpgIMG_20190715_153836.jpg

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Cute little wagon! Lada Niva- four wheel drive correct? What year of manufacture?

Last edited:

mattthemuppet2

woohoo! what a journey!

Rick, lovely work. I have a 3" bullet that is on my list for a tear down and repaint this summer. Any gotchas to keep an eye out for on dissassembly?

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
1982 was a very good year, comrade :)
I read about the Niva, it was tested in Siberia and the Ural mountains- if it can drive there it can drive anywhere
The Soviet military decided they wanted some, sort of like the American Jeep

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
I had this kit for ball turning kicking around in the shop for several years. Finally decided to finish it so I could learn to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vocatexas

Registered
Goce, it's good to see the end in sight, isn't it? The work you have done on your car is amazing and it's been fun and informative to follow along. I rebuilt a Ford pick-up truck a few years ago. Mine was in much better condition when I started than yours was, and it was a lot of work. You have practically built a new vehicle. Congratulations!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Goce, it's good to see the end in sight, isn't it?
It's always rewarding when you finish any project, this is a big step but i still have a lot of work in front of me, never the less this project may have the most rust repair i've done but is easier than doing engine swaps, front wheel to rear wheel drive conversions and stuff like that. That i've done few, those are the ones you start to pull your hair out.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
1982 was a very good year, comrade :)
I read about the Niva, it was tested in Siberia and the Ural mountains- if it can drive there it can drive anywhere
The Soviet military decided they wanted some, sort of like the American Jeep
They are made with no comfort in main but they do go anywhere, also there is something with the people that drive them, they absolutely don't care about them, i've seen them jump them, roll them and still drive them home.

Rick Berk

Active User
Registered
woohoo! what a journey!

Rick, lovely work. I have a 3" bullet that is on my list for a tear down and repaint this summer. Any gotchas to keep an eye out for on dissassembly?
Several come to mind, If you have a positioner with yours the black plastic ball on mine was horrible looking after all the years of use, I put a stud in the collet and threaded the ball to it, turning at 300 RPM I filed all the defects out sanded from 280-400 grit and buffed with loose cotton flannel and white rouge. Second is removing the freeze plug, I put a rod thru the Acme nut and punched it out. Third - The rear housing is held on with a pin on each side of the vise base, you punch them inwards until they fall loose, after stripping and cleaning I put it together and in the mill and redrilled the pin holes using number drills and increasing the diameter of the pin by about .030 then drilled and tapped the new pins I made so a slide hammer can be used for future removal. You can see one in the first picture. As mentioned earlier the freeze plug hole was cast and not machined so I put it in a 4 jaw and offset then bore to a non standard dim.and made the brass button to fit. Hope this is clear- Good Luck.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
If yesterday was a happy day today is a bad day, the recent rain raised the water levels and raised the water pressure and developed a big leak in the big garage. And of course it was the pipe that is at the back of the pack, so i had to cut two others to get access to it, it was dark and wet so i did not take any pictures. I was missing couple of fittings to finish the job so i went to the hardware store and what would you know my car's battery died. Dead short no voltage so next store over went and bought a new battery and changed it. When it rains it storms, funny how things break when the weather changes.
IMG_20190715_112005.jpg

mattthemuppet2

Several come to mind, If you have a positioner with yours the black plastic ball on mine was horrible looking after all the years of use, I put a stud in the collet and threaded the ball to it, turning at 300 RPM I filed all the defects out sanded from 280-400 grit and buffed with loose cotton flannel and white rouge. Second is removing the freeze plug, I put a rod thru the Acme nut and punched it out. Third - The rear housing is held on with a pin on each side of the vise base, you punch them inwards until they fall loose, after stripping and cleaning I put it together and in the mill and redrilled the pin holes using number drills and increasing the diameter of the pin by about .030 then drilled and tapped the new pins I made so a slide hammer can be used for future removal. You can see one in the first picture. As mentioned earlier the freeze plug hole was cast and not machined so I put it in a 4 jaw and offset then bore to a non standard dim.and made the brass button to fit. Hope this is clear- Good Luck.
thanks Rick, that's a great help!

stioc

Registered
Made a flywheel to fit the crankshaft I made the other week.
Damn, more impetus to make a steam engine.
As if I didnt have enough on my plate.
Very cool, definitely on my "to try/learn" list of things!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today, i spent half day gardening and the other half cleaning the mess from the broken water main from yesterday. While i was in there i spent few hours to clean out the side bay so i can park the little niva in there, i had a halfcut there that i cut into pieces and i'll scrap it tomorrow only thing to move left is a one engine and a complete drivetrain.
IMG_20190715_153928.jpgIMG_20190715_153949.jpg

[5] [7]