POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Does it count if you made it in someone else's shop?
I'm a long time fan of the show "Forged in Fire", on the history Channel. I have been wanting to try it myself for several years. Then I found out one of the contestants has a forge near me and offers lessons. Had to try it. Just a railroad spike knife, but what a lot of fun!
One of our own members on here was on the show years back . He bought a saw off of me and I delivered it to his shop . Very impressive stuff he was making ! I haven't seen him online lately but ran into him a few times at blacksmithing shows and we printed some of his work in the newspapers awhile back . Where has deker been lately ? I guess making knives and such . :)

Nice work on your knives !

Son finished up the custom fork pkg for his BIL's JD today.
He is very happy with it.
Very nice.

This morning, I am about to begin building something similar for a forklift attachment that was given to me. My tractor is a JD 5510, and my plan is to make the bracket exactly like the one for my hayfork spear that mounts on the front end. Then I will mount the forklift frame to that bracket.

I may wish to pick your or your son's brain a little on this if I hit a snag, if you don't mind.

Regards

it's strange time, i never thought i'll take the 607 up in the mountains, but i did and it did well no bumps or scrapes even showed the best fuel economy ever. I also took apart the 605 and removed all the hoses i could access i'll replace them all. Also the coolant is again like dirt, i replaced it and flashed the engine beginning of winter. I plan to do a better flash now and switch it to G12 coolant, the dirty coolant is what is destroying the hoses and clogging my heater core. Has anyone come across this: dirty cooling system even after couple of flushes. And how seen Will Smith slap on stage at the awards.
IMG_20220323_071307.jpgIMG_20220323_102925.jpgIMG_20220323_193337.jpgIMG_20220323_193925.jpgIMG_20220324_182533.jpg

it's strange time, i never thought i'll take the 607 up in the mountains, but i did and it did well no bumps or scrapes even showed the best fuel economy ever. I also took apart the 605 and removed all the hoses i could access i'll replace them all. Also the coolant is again like dirt, i replaced it and flashed the engine beginning of winter. I plan to do a better flash now and switch it to G12 coolant, the dirty coolant is what is destroying the hoses and clogging my heater core. Has anyone come across this: dirty cooling system even after couple of flushes. And how seen Will Smith slap on stage at the awards.
View attachment 402066View attachment 402067View attachment 402068View attachment 402069View attachment 402070
looks like some oil in the coolant? does it separate out?
either that or the mice are bathing in the radiator after those off road trips? :eek 3:

Has anyone come across this: dirty cooling system even after couple of flushes. And how seen Will Smith slap on stage at the awards.
Haven't seen anything that bad. Just did a coolant system flush on a ford pickup truck, which hadn't been flushed in probably close to 15 years. It was a little dark, but not that dark. Are you using chemicals in the flush to break down the oxides/rust, etc?

I think all of the radiator flush chemicals around here are based on sodium citrate. It's supposed to break up some of the junk and oxides. Then you flush with clean water a few times and fill with good coolant.

Haven't seen anything that bad. Just did a coolant system flush on a ford pickup truck, which hadn't been flushed in probably close to 15 years. It was a little dark, but not that dark. Are you using chemicals in the flush to break down the oxides/rust, etc?

I think all of the radiator flush chemicals around here are based on sodium citrate. It's supposed to break up some of the junk and oxides. Then you flush with clean water a few times and fill with good coolant.
Last time i used oven cleaner and run water with the engine running till it was crystal clean.

Made some replacement threaded ferulles for the Cat 'O' lift arms on my Cub 882.
Originals were getting pretty worn as well as elongating the holes in the arms.
bored the holes oversize to clean them up and turned some new pieces to fit plus a few extras standard size for the swap meet table this year.
Cub Cadet wants $31 each for theirs!!

Attachments

• DSCN9242.JPG
    DSCN9242.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN9243.JPG
    DSCN9243.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN9244.JPG
    DSCN9244.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN9250.JPG
    DSCN9250.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 37
Making a small mounting bracket for the heater fan switch on the ‘36 Chrysler. It mounts onto the underside of the dash.
Took some 1 1/2” Al angle drilled and filed the hole to fit the switch yesterday. Today used BP to mill the basic shape with the rest done by file. Still need the two mounting holes to be located and drilled. Likely will beadblast the piece and use some Al blacking compound or paint.
Pierre

4D9D8392-D0EA-434F-B4DE-BE413EFD3C11.jpeg01B0871E-26C2-4900-AB31-FA9A492164E6.jpeg7E055E47-BA5B-4E4E-A346-7A000097402F.jpeg

Back