[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Logan 400

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have a few cheap clamps that I sprung using them improperly a couple years ago. When I was planning my new welder cart worktable I had an idea to use these clamps on the middle if the table. I repurposed one today and will be modifying the others as well. It worked pretty well for my use.
20190804_081440.jpg20190804_081320.jpg20190803_205720.jpg

Chuck K

Active User
I started working on a lathe bench this weekend. I have a SB model A that has been sitting on a skid since I got it a long time ago. I bought it thinking it was a parts machine, but after playing around with it I found out that it's a decent lathe. It needs a bench and a tail stock. I'll find the tail stock. I decided after digging around that I had enough material to piece together a bench. I had 2 pieces of 1/4 plate, some short pieces of square tube, some angle and a pile of drawers left over from some Lyon shelving. I got a lot of it cut up and tacked together. Unfortunately my tig welder refused to work. All I get is a high frequency spark. So I rolled out the old Lincoln stick welder. The challenge is ending up with something that is halfway square and straight. That and finding the time to finish it now that I started.

Attachments

silverhawk

Registered
I started working on a lathe bench this weekend. I have a SB model A that has been sitting on a skid since I got it a long time ago. I bought it thinking it was a parts machine, but after playing around with it I found out that it's a decent lathe. It needs a bench and a tail stock. I'll find the tail stock. I decided after digging around that I had enough material to piece together a bench. I had 2 pieces of 1/4 plate, some short pieces of square tube, some angle and a pile of drawers left over from some Lyon shelving. I got a lot of it cut up and tacked together. Unfortunately my tig welder refused to work. All I get is a high frequency spark. So I rolled out the old Lincoln stick welder. The challenge is ending up with something that is halfway square and straight. That and finding the time to finish it now that I started.
I would like to see this bench progress! Thanks for posting!

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Needed a new welding table top. The 3/8" was warped and not cutting it. I have some 1" plate that I decided to make into a top, the pieces are 48x48". The first design was a 49 hole setup. The holes are 5/8" diameter so I can use most of the popular clamping systems if I want. I had to fill a couple holes in the tops as they were used for other things originally. I soaked them in vinegar for approximately 4 days to get rid of the hot roll and rust.

Attachments

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Here is the 2nd design. It is a 112 hole design that I really prefer. I sold the first one to pay for the water jetting on both of them. I had them cut square with rounded corners.

Attachments

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Customer called and wanted a flower windmill fixed. Wind had torn 2 leaves off it. He had tried to epoxy them on but it didn't hold. I was able to clean the epoxy and tig them back on. He was very happy. He wanted to repaint it so I didn't have to mess with that part.

Attachments

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Found a pop up in the trash so I decided to see if it was worth fixing. Turns out the top and all the metal pieces were straight. It was missing 2 bolts and all the plastic joints for the top had broken. I had a piece of square aluminum stock that was the right size so I made new ones. I check the web and these plastic pieces are $12 each!

Attachments

roadie33

Active User
Always good to see someone else recycling.
They won't be breaking anytime soon.
You should make more and see if there is a market for them.
Plastic $12, Alum $20 Could be a fair chunk of easy revenue.

rdean

Active User
Last week "rwn" put up a fusion picture he made showing a set of trammel points. (I believe that is what they are called)
It looked like such a good idea I just had to make a set myself. I put a flat along one side of the rod so the points would remain in the same plane with each other. I also put the locking knobs on the side so you can tap the top of the point to make a mark on your work piece.
Why didn't I think of this years ago?

GEDC4061.JPG

GEDC4059.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Flyinfool

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
For the most part I made a big mess in the basement. I got rid of a work bench that was only really a horizontal surface to collect stuff. and replaced it with an 8 drawer rolling tool cabinet. of course the bench and the new location for the roller were at the diagonal opposite corner of the basement from the door, so all kinds of stuff had to get moved around to get everything where it needed to be. The basement was already a mess from the removing of the old chimney to get back that 4 square feet of floor space and tearing up a trench the length of the basement to replace a sewer line. So not it is officially a full blown disaster zone. Now I get to start finding places to put everything away in a manner that at least resembles organized.

rwm

Active User
Last week "rwn" put up a fusion picture he made showing a set of trammel points. (I believe that is what they are called)
It looked like such a good idea I just had to make a set myself. I put a flat along one side of the rod so the points would remain in the same plane with each other. I also put the locking knobs on the side so you can tap the top of the point to make a mark on your work piece.
Why didn't I think of this years ago?
I like it! Is that steel or aluminum? The knobs on the side are an excellent modification. How did you flat the shaft? Would a surface grinder be the most appropriate tool to use for this? My shaft is a precision ground SS rod.

Robert

jdedmon91

Brass
Registered
Posted this video up today. Chris wanted to use this cabinets towel rack for decorative towels. So we needed a simple hand towel rack. I made this one up and posted the video this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
For the most part I made a big mess in the basement. I got rid of a work bench that was only really a horizontal surface to collect stuff. and replaced it with an 8 drawer rolling tool cabinet. of course the bench and the new location for the roller were at the diagonal opposite corner of the basement from the door, so all kinds of stuff had to get moved around to get everything where it needed to be.
15 Puzzle.jpg

T Bredehoft

Active User
View attachment 299748

I have one of those from the late 1940s, chromed steel, the chrome is peeling off....loved that puzzle, I could solve it but only by happenstance.

ttabbal

Brass
Registered
A rear mounted parting tool holder. Inspired by the the recent thread here and adapted to fit my lathe. I need to get the hardware, hopefully I can find a suitable bolt for the hold down locally. I suppose I can make one if needed.

It's a few thou high still, I figure I'll mount it on the lathe with a blade and test before the final adjustment cut.

IMG_20190806_010043.jpg

rdean

Active User
I like it! Is that steel or aluminum? The knobs on the side are an excellent modification. How did you flat the shaft? Would a surface grinder be the most appropriate tool to use for this? My shaft is a precision ground SS rod.
It is made from mystery steel including the knobs that are threaded 1/4" X 28.
To flatten the shaft I used a parallel in the vise on the milling machine to cut the flat.

Thanks
Ray

Reactions: rwm

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Last few days the weather been very warm, i've been leaving the little niva to bake in the sun and i've been wet sanding it early in the morning and letter when the sun goes down. I've been leaving it in the small garage overnight, few more hours of wet sanding it will be ready for paint.
IMG_20190806_100709.jpgIMG_20190806_100545.jpg

Chuck K

Active User
I did some welding on my lathe stand this afternoon. I'm getting closer. I have to weld the frame for the bottom shelf in place yet. I'm happy with it so far. I intended to use one piece of plate for the top. The lathe will just fit on it. I have two identical pieces which turned 180* would make a lot more room and overhang the drawers to keep chips out. Haven't decided which way to go with that. The pic has both pieces sitting on the frame. 20190806_163417.jpg

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Today i did a lot more wet sanding on the little Niva, the weather was hotter than ever it pass the 40 celsius mark. The water coming from my garden hose at low flow was too hot to use, so i had to run the water at full flow. And finally managed to get it prepped for paint, there are couple of spots that are not the best but should be good enough. After looking thru my paint guns and other equipment i'm not equipped to do a good paint job, the paint will cost half my monthly paycheck so i'll call in a favor at a paint shop to have them spray it in there booth.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
And finally managed to get it prepped for paint
I think we are all looking forward to seeing the Little Niva with a new coat of Paint. You are getting very close to looking for a new project :)

f350ca

Registered
I often paint large items outside. In the heat of the day the paint can flash too quickly, wait till evening or early morning and you get bugs stuck to the paint. If you can get it done in a booth you'd be beter off.

Greg

GoceKU

Bronze
Registered
Yeah, i have many small unfinished projects that i'll finish before looking for a new one, but some time projects find me.

F350ca, i'm asking around, there are couple of good body shops that own me favors, i may be holding the paint gun but won't be in my dusty garage.

savarin

Active User
I hope there will be some shots traveling over impassable routes :laughing:
Awesome project cant wait for the finish.

kvt

Active User
Tried to do a Video of making a pushrod for a Hit and Miss engine. But lost most of the video. Even did some milling and removing a broken off set screw on a collar for the pushrod. and all I got was a little shot and a lot of static.

Kens Hobbies
Hope I have better luck next time. I have a bunch more stuff to do on it.
Ken

[5] [7]