POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

One of 10 I will be making
2"od x 1.108" id x 3.25"
One end gets an inside taper 1/2 way to fit a bale fork tine.
It's a long trip through the center.
Three passes the last with a 1" bit in the Mill.

Attachments

• DSCN9027 (2).JPG
    DSCN9027 (2).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN9028 (2).JPG
    DSCN9028 (2).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
Well, it's a project that has been taking to long , but now I'm getting somewhere! My wife's 1966 Porsche 912 long block, got it dialed in now at 9:1.3 C/R :<) Should be a fun little canyon driver!

Attachments

• Long-Block.jpg
    Long-Block.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
Growing alright, had her to the vet last week for her second set of shots, she'd doubled in weight in the 4 weeks we've had her. lol
30 pounds at 3 months, going to be a big girl.

Greg

Three passes the last with a 1" bit in the Mill.
If you can get a 1" x 2" long annular cutter, you can core the hole form both sides, saves a lot of time. When I make lathe spiders, I use the annular cutters for solid round stock, takes 1-2 minutes from each end (usually on the lathe), then I follow with a boring bar. You could also do it on the mill if you have a jig/stop system to keep the alignment.

Something simple. The Kickstarter project by YesWelder came in a few days back. It does MIG, Flux-Core Wire welding, Stick, TIG and Plasma Cutting. We set up the plasma cutter to slice a 4 by 8 sheet of 12 gauge steel to a more manageable pair of 4 by 4 sheets.

Current was 22 amps, 35 PSI (0.24 MPa). It cut the steel like butter. The angle iron was a fence, to ensure a straight cut.

The step son was testing out his Christmas Gift. He is attending welding school.

Attachments

• 09 Jan 2022 Plasma cutting 22 amp 35 PSI point24MPa.jpg
    09 Jan 2022 Plasma cutting 22 amp 35 PSI point24MPa.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 38
I needed a small vise for the Walker Turner drill press... turns out I had this piece of carp in a corner... It has never been used... Figured, to avoid spending on a new one, that I would at least give it a try.

IMG_4043.jpeg

Needed a lot of cleaning to remove all the factory grease, surface rust, deburring everything, etc.

IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg

I still need to clean the threaded rods.

Then decide on what color I will give it before assembly... But it is at least cleaning up nicely... still carp, but working carp...

IMG_4052.jpeg

The Kickstarter project by YesWelder came in a few days back. It does MIG, Flux-Core Wire welding, Stick, TIG and Plasma Cutting. We set up the plasma cutter to slice a 4 by 8 sheet of 12 gauge steel to a more manageable pair of 4 by 4 sheets.

Current was 22 amps, 35 PSI (0.24 MPa). It cut the steel like butter.
Thanks for the review, please keep 'em coming as you test all the functions!
Brian

Something simple. The Kickstarter project by YesWelder came in a few days back. It does MIG, Flux-Core Wire welding, Stick, TIG and Plasma Cutting. We set up the plasma cutter to slice a 4 by 8 sheet of 12 gauge steel to a more manageable pair of 4 by 4 sheets.

Current was 22 amps, 35 PSI (0.24 MPa). It cut the steel like butter. The angle iron was a fence, to ensure a straight cut.

The step son was testing out his Christmas Gift. He is attending welding school.
Hadn't heard of that one. Yeah, plasma is really really nice for some things. It's second only to sending CAD files out and having parts laser cut for you! :)

So TIG is lift start...Assuming it's a DC only type machine? (Didn't see any mention of aluminum). How fast can you switch out between processes?(stingers, etc) Will it run on 120 and 220, or fixed voltage?

A couple years back, I looked into an all in 1 machine. Didn't go that route, but they sure are appealing for size, etc. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts after using it a while. It's certainly in a nice small box!

Yes, the TIG is lift start. It is DC only, so TIG welding aluminum is not on the menu. It does 110/220. For heavier welding 220 is required. Most hobby shops will probably not have a critical need for 220v, but your milage may vary.

I have a couple other welders in the shop as well. The most similar one is an Amico, which does all the same things except Plasma.
It is my standard for expected behavior. It is solid.

Over time I am going through all the various processes it can do. I have some good test equipment to look at it in detail (dual trace digital scope, fluke meters, amp-probes).

Back