POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Replacing heater core on any car is a hassle but in this one everything needs to come out, and i really didn't wanted to do it but in all 12 shops i asked they said no.
My neighbor had a Chevy that had the heater fan die. He asked the dealer how much $. Then how to fix it. Cut a hole in the firewall after removing some stuff. Still difficult to get the heater fan in & out. But we did it in two evenings. A piece of sheet metal, caulking and some screws to fix the hole. Debated about painting the sheet metal and decided to leave it as a reminder about car engineering.

Radiator stop leak was added about a year ago and was leaking a bit but yesterday it blow out it was leaking more then you can fill it. I had to bypass it or replace it and i decided to do it right. The automatic A/C make it more difficult, the thing has 20 air temp sensors 5 stepper motors but still is simpler then working on a french car, and i've learn on french cars.

What car is this? Year, make, model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh wow. VW and Audi have a reputation here of being difficult to work on because you have to remove a lot ($$$ labor) to gain access even for usual jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I work on VW/Audi, mercedes, BMW etc for a living. Some things are rather hard indeed. Dropping the engine and transmission assembly to replace an alternator or starter on a Tourag seems to be at the top of the list of harder than they should be jobs.

I work on VW/Audi, mercedes, BMW etc for a living. Some things are rather hard indeed. Dropping the engine and transmission assembly to replace an alternator or starter on a Tourag seems to be at the top of the list of harder than they should be jobs.
And we made fun of Chevy when they came out with two vehicles you had to either lift the motor or drill thru the frame to change a spark plug.

My toyotta sienna had to have the top end pulled th change one or two plugs I couldn't get to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe french cars are worse to repair, to replace one part, 3 others need to come out and everyone is more difficult than the first.

Today i spent my time during daylight in nature the rest in my garage with brushes chemicals and vacuums. I bought and replaced the heater core washed the entire HVAC box and all of the ducting. Then i used an old roller to push as much of the soaked coolant out of the carpet, you can see the red paddle coming from the bottom of the car. Then i used cleaners and vacuum to clean everything even used some glass cleaner to clean the bottom of the windscreen. After that i got busy installing the HVAC box in its place i remember there are sensors on all sides and many of them are not accessible when installed, so i sent some time double checking that and i connected the coolant pipes and fill the system to check for leaks, i left it over night to bubble up all the air it can from the system, tomorrow i'll fire up the engine and pressurise the cooling system to check the new heater core before i put it together, i also want to check if the automatic climate control is working correctly and is reading all its sensors.
IMG_20220406_080425.jpgIMG_20220406_175223.jpgIMG_20220406_195505.jpgIMG_20220406_183015.jpg

Back