POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Started to build the Acute Tool Sharpening kit…

First part is the easy one… drill some holes, tap four holes, drill some more holes to size… and then machine the spacers…

25EA9ED2-F3AC-4740-A135-BD939AE21962.jpeg

Then assemble it all…

B8A0BBB7-69A5-4070-B986-DD646138A329.jpeg

Yea. Its an older chuck that doesn't look like its hardly ever been used. Beautiful condition of the scroll and jaws. I don't really need it. But every now and then I do want to make something precision. I could always just use a regular 4-jaw chuck. Anyway, It's another toy. We gotta have our toys.

Brother-in-law recommended a record brush... arrived today. Turns out it is too low for my turntable. The 1/4" adjustment is not enough to make it work.

IMG_5425.jpeg

So I figured that I would make a base for it to raise it. Testing here the height needed for the spacer...

IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5431.jpeg

Yeah, that should do it... but now I need to make it look better... I do not have cylinder bars of Delrin... but since the lathe is to make square things round... let's do this!

And yeah, I changed the cutter for another one... I used the boring bar on a second step...

IMG_5433.jpeg

There you are...

IMG_5437.jpeg

Boring bar was used to carve out the center so the base of the brush would sit inside securely...

IMG_5438.jpeg

I then took this to the bandsaw and proceeded to cut it short of the cylinder. Placed it back in the lathe and machined the left over rectangle in the bottom... also made a recess... well, because I see other folks doing that, lol...
IMG_5442.jpeg

Man, I am new to all this... but I am so frigging proud of how this came out!!

IMG_5444.jpeg

Poifect!!

IMG_5446.jpeg
IMG_5447.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to wipe my albums before playing them, not during. I would think the brushing while running would lead to noise.. a WOW effect, and shhhhhhhhhh sound.

I used to wipe my albums before playing them, not during. I would think the brushing while running would lead to noise.. a WOW effect, and shhhhhhhhhh sound.

I wash them with this...

IMG_5448.jpeg

And then use a brush before playing them... but sometimes there is stuff in the air that lands on the record while playing...

You know how it is... there is really no need for a lot of stuff that we buy.... :D:D:D

Made a mandrel for some of the steps needed with the Acute Tool Sharpening kit...

IMG_5449.jpeg

Finish is not that great, I just needed the mandrel and was not paying attention to speed and feeds... I know it takes the same amount of time to do it right than half-a... I will do better next time.

IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5454.jpeg

Last edited:
Back