POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Today i install the headliner in the white elephant no 1 and try to drive it out, but the clutch said no. I seams my brother managed to cook the clutch to the point it's going backward uphill in first gear. Last time i drove it, it was just starting to slip so bought a new clutch set and had it on a shelf. So drove it back in the garage and took it apart, removing the axles, dropping the gearbox by myself was difficult and hard on my back but i managed. The old clutch disk was cooked, the pressure plate and flywheel has grooves from the rivets. If it looks strange this has the revarse setup used in VW 's where the pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft and the fly wheel is on the gearbox side. With everything removed i need to get a good flywheel and i'll be changing the gearbox, this one had very dirty oil and all that metal has to come from somewhere. Let's hope it goes together easier than the last one, easier than the Scenic. Its shaping to be a month of clutches in my garage.
IMG_20220509_212148.jpgIMG_20220511_154542.jpgIMG_20220511_211048.jpgIMG_20220511_211042.jpgIMG_20220511_211036.jpg

Today i install the headliner in the white elephant no 1 and try to drive it out, but the clutch said no. I seams my brother managed to cook the clutch to the point it's going backward uphill in first gear. Last time i drove it, it was just starting to slip so bought a new clutch set and had it on a shelf. So drove it back in the garage and took it apart, removing the axles, dropping the gearbox by myself was difficult and hard on my back but i managed. The old clutch disk was cooked, the pressure plate and flywheel has grooves from the rivets. If it looks strange this has the revarse setup used in VW 's where the pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft and the fly wheel is on the gearbox side. With everything removed i need to get a good flywheel and i'll be changing the gearbox, this one had very dirty oil and all that metal has to come from somewhere. Let's hope it goes together easier than the last one, easier than the Scenic. Its shaping to be a month of clutches in my garage.
View attachment 407422View attachment 407423View attachment 407427View attachment 407425View attachment 407424
I'm telling ya, I still think you need a new brother. :grin: One that doesn't beat cars to death everytime he touches it. Have you thought of trading your brother in for a better deal? :laughing:

Trying to get a Cub running that isn't co-operating . Been over on the cub site all morning getting tips . None have worked so far . Fins is on over there probably laughing his butt off . Something has the engine locked out and I hate to dump time and money into an un-needed tractor . :burned up:

Trying to get a Cub running that isn't co-operating . Been over on the cub site all morning getting tips . None have worked so far . Fins is on over there probably laughing his butt off . Something has the engine locked out and I hate to dump time and money into an un-needed tractor . :burned up:
locked out????

so are you getting a spark?
I'm betting your gas or carb is bad. Carb just take it off, take it apart - clean out each hole with carb spray, reassemble.. count your needle settings before taking it apart.

Gas, how long has it been in there? Have you tried starter fluid down the carb throat? Does it fire for a few?

No , I found it . Bad solenoid for the starter . I jumped it to the solenoid a few times and nothing . I the went straight to the starter from the battery . Nothing . I THEN put the jump box directly to the starter and she fired right up . So , either a bad solenoid or a bad wire . The battery could have been weak complicating the issues . All is good now . :encourage:

Today i managed to finish the clutch and gearbox replacement. Manhandling the gearbox by hand from the inspection pit was tight, but after few sweat moments i put it together. The old and new gearbox are different by one number but it will work, i also installed a good used flywheel from one of my spare engines. After assembling the axles i did not take no more pictures because my hands are covered in graphite grease. I drove it around the block and its working as it should. This gearbox is much tighter, it clicks into gear like a rifle. Unexpectedly this car got much better then ever before.
IMG_20220512_201540.jpgIMG_20220512_201547.jpgIMG_20220512_201844.jpgIMG_20220512_201932.jpg

No , I found it . Bad solenoid for the starter . I jumped it to the solenoid a few times and nothing . I the went straight to the starter from the battery . Nothing . I THEN put the jump box directly to the starter and she fired right up . So , either a bad solenoid or a bad wire . The battery could have been weak complicating the issues . All is good now . :encourage:
My Cub dilemma was the new level of ethanol in the fuel apparently had dissolved the inside of the section of rubber fuel line and plugged the carb. I mean PLUGGED..What a flip-pin mess. All better now but ALL day cleaning and fooling with that carb. Reminded me of an old Quadrajet, I worked on when they first added the "magic" thinner to our gas supply and ruined fuel injection seals and lots of other fun issues on cars that weren't manufactured when that was in the gas. Maybe the boat marina still has "regular" ?
I'm going to need to check around before anything else gets refilled with the "new" fuel this season.

Finally got the drawer in my welding cart. Only took a couple of years…sheesh.
fa4a51940de6747e33d66da2483959f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back