POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I turned a John Deere LX 176 into a John Deere 0 ! The motor was picked up this morning and now all that resides is this , which will be scrapped out . Most people give up on tractors or anything they can't fix . I don't . This was a free for pick up locally , already have sold the wheels and motor . $460 profit so far for drinking a few beers and playing with the tools in the garage ! :D You can't beat this with a big broomstick . :encourage:

Attachments

• IMG_9169.JPG
    IMG_9169.JPG
    859.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9170.JPG
    IMG_9170.JPG
    871.1 KB · Views: 30
Finished changing the vent window weatherstrips on the 36 Chrysler. Used 1937s as there are no 34-36 available by anybody.

Had to modify them in a few areas and bond together in two places but not more leaks. Lots of grinding dust to reduce the width to 3/4“ to allow the vent window to lower into the door with the main window. Jay Leno shows this type of window in one of two youtube video on the 1934 Airflow that he has in the collection.
Now on to replace a few more weatherstrips that are worn out or missing.
Pierre

IMGP0704.JPG

Last edited:
Welded up some more garden fences this morning.
Jigged up
88a99c1df7b295661a51163e72c7e2e5.jpg

All done. Now for paint.
5c9c269cc4035c6850f5c312c1b275e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to always have the right tools near whatever station they are needed at, and have duplicates of a lot of wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. In collecting a bunch of CXA QCTP holders I see that there are four different sizes of the nut used for locking the depth setting. Also, there are two different sizes of set screws used. Further, the threading dial needs a wrench, the carriage lock needs a wrench, and the 3 jaw chuck bolts likewise.

Short of hanging a shelf worth of different wrenches, I built a composite wrench with 4 sizes that fit all the above. I couldn't think of how to combine the two hex keys, 5mm and 3/16" on that wrench, so I made a dual ended rod and bent it 90. This should be a pretty big help and prevent searching all over for a wrench when I don't even know what size I'm actually looking for.

I also got to use the mill pallet I made awhile ago. To fit the handle to the wrench body, I cut a slit in the handle end, and milled both sides of the body down to the width of the slit, and pressed them together. That worked perfectly, no pins, bolts, etc. needed.

I will save a minute or maybe two per day, perhaps.

QCTP holder wrenches.jpgPallet.jpg

No the photo isn’t upside down, that’s a roll of paper mounted underneath my cutting table.

1653353940461.jpeg

The big roll of brown paper is what I use for pattern drafting but it’s really awkward and I always seem to decide I need fresh paper after I’ve already got stuff on the table. So, mount the roll under the table and bring the paper up as needed.

Some scrap aluminum (already broken with a 90 degree flange, bonus), some threaded rod, a few other bibs and bobs from the “random stuff” drawer and it’s good to go. A bit challenging to load but I managed without dropping the roll on my face so that was another plus, or maybe not, I don’t know ;)

But it works great, that’s all I care about. Thanks for looking!

-frank

1653354014874.jpeg

I finally got the engine in the car, still have to clean the fuel system and redo the brakes :wink:

I recognise that engine and body! What year? (Looks pre 1980s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1966 Porsche 912 , my wife's favorite car ;)

Beautiful car, and great color. I recognised the air cooled part but didn’t look close enough so missed the fact that is shorter (boxer 4 vs 6).

Just a timeless design. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back