POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Had a " small " fire last night to get rid of some of the wood in the back yard . Tonight I'll fill that ring up and light up the sky ! :encourage: I have a 6 foot stainless grill that I have to put handles on for lifting later today . This was just lying around but I figure once the yard is up to snuff , we'll have a party .

Attachments

• IMG_9200.JPG
    IMG_9200.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9199.JPG
    IMG_9199.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 28
Added in supports for the yet-to-built cabinet.
70529d80df64a4fdb65960b8880e3407.jpg

And painted.
4e7c5af91871a926e85db21c63af373a.jpg

Last edited:
Can't seem to get this little lathe rigid enough for this task... I will take the cutter to the bigger lathe in Ocala and try there...

I knew, from the videos, that this was prone to chatter... but in my case, sometimes the cutting tool would bite the piece because the cross slide is not rigid enough... I have the saddle nut tight... feeding the cross slide very slowly... using cutting oil...

Anyway, not going to fight it... tomorrow I head out to Ocala and will do this there...

IMG_6050.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the workpiece has been slipping in the chuck jaws...?

What spindle speed are you running at? That radius tool is applying a lot of tool pressure to the workpiece... you may want to try slowing it down and keep a lot of oil on it...

Also, are you feeding using the carriage, or the cross slide? You may have better results feeding with the carriage...

Just a few suggestions...

-Bear

Edit: ok, I just re-read, you are feeding with the cross slide... I would try feeding toward the chuck instead... it may not help much with that large radius

It looks like the workpiece has been slipping in the chuck jaws...?

What spindle speed are you running at? That radius tool is applying a lot of tool pressure to the workpiece... you may want to try slowing it down and keep a lot of oil on it...

Also, are you feeding using the carriage, or the cross slide? You may have better results feeding with the carriage...

Just a few suggestions...

-Bear

Edit: ok, I just re-read, you are feeding with the cross slide... I would try feeding toward the chuck instead... it may not help much with that large radius
Thank you for the suggestions.

It slipped once when the tool bit into the part... correct...

Turning at 320 rpms

I’m afraid that’s just a lot of contact for any lathe much less a small HF type unit. You’re moving to more weight is a good call.

Thank you for the suggestions.

It slipped once when the tool bit into the part... correct...

Turning at 320 rpms

Just for curiosity... I would cut that in half and feed toward the chuck and see what happens... hand feed very slowly... lots of oil.

-Bear

I bought a Harbor Freight hand plane (no 33) back when I built the table top for the family members last year. The hand plane was nearly impossible to use, because it felt like it was between revisions (threaded, knurled nuts adjusting blade depth were different sizes, though the threaded rod was the same 6x1.0mm). It was as-if someone at the factory crossed parts over. When I called customer service, they said I had to mail the whole unit back, and they'd send me a new one (I had to pay shipping both directions, and I think the shipping would have cost the same as just buying another one, but after that I couldn't mentally try another bad one).

I had a 5/8" stainless bar drop from a previous project, and decided to use that. Faced, drilled to 5.2mm for tapping (sort of - I'm using metric, and ended up with an even bigger hole because this stainless was painful to tap even with the larger pilot hole). I got to use the scissor knurl for the first time. If anyone has questioned whether to do the pressure knurling tools, or to go with the scissor knurling tools - by all means, spring the extra cash for the scissor knurling tool. It actually produced decent results for a first try, without breaking any tool post hardware!

20220530_102146.jpg

I finished my other cuts and surfaces, and swore at this stainless - it was painful to tap. But, I got it done.

20220530_120018.jpg

20220530_120100.jpg

The plane is usable again. The stainless bar stock was probably worth more than I spent on the plane, but I did get my aroma therapy in for the first time in a few months (most of my time was spent making indoor grow racks for tomato plants, and sanding for a Gerstner-style machinist chest - I really need to get back to that project).

I have been rolling a tennis ball and then following up with a frozen water bottle.
I'll add the heel raises. Was not told to do that.. thanks.
My issue is flat feet, and my orthotics beat me up over time.. I'm watching Aukai's progress to see how that goes. I would love to stop using the orthotics.
I think what finally got mine to settle down were the steroid injections.
That was 20 years ago. Hasn't flared up since but you need to continue stretching for eternity.

Back