POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

How about a picture of the Creme Brulee?
I think that they have not made any lately because they can't find the torch :laughing::bonjour:

EDIT: Went into the garage to cut the parts for the jaws, holding block, and end plate that holds both rods...

I just realized that this is A36 steel... I hope that is not a big issue for the jaws. Wished I had paid attention and gotten some better material for the jaws. Or is this okay for this use??

IMG_6096.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoa! How'd you do that? I'm following up on some of these tomorrow.

Thanks!
I use the site www.searchtempest.com for CL ads. It also lists eBay and Amazon at the bottom. The search engine lets you put in a location, max driving distance, etc.

I had to sign up for Facebook at work when our GM assembly plant was shut down for COVID a couple of years ago. That was our plant leadership's communication method during the down time. Facebook Marketplace is like CL but on Facebook. Problem is you can't attach the links (I can't, might be operator error).

Have fun shopping! Looks like a couple of those grinders a close to you and a pretty good deal.

Bruce

I just realized that this is A36 steel... I hope that is not a big issue for the jaws. Wished I had paid attention and gotten some better material for the jaws. Or is this okay for this use??
You should be fine according to Google. A36 is close to 1018 steel; hot-rolled instead of cold-rolled.

Bruce

1654176541124.png

I so want to make one of these float locks. How many times it would be nice to have a part locked down quick and easy, instead of using all kinds of things at hand to hold stuff down, mostly my hands. Its going on my list maybe in the winter. I still have to complete some long term projects this summer. If you haven't yet, have a look at Quins blondihacks youtube channel. She has a whole series of making one of these and there is some corrections not on the drawings.

I so want to make one of these float locks. How many times it would be nice to have a part locked down quick and easy, instead of using all kinds of things at hand to hold stuff down, mostly my hands. Its going on my list maybe in the winter. I still have to complete some long term projects this summer. If you haven't yet, have a look at Quins blondihacks youtube channel. She has a whole series of making one of these and there is some corrections not on the drawings.
Thank you. I did watch her video series on this one as well. She also made a different handle for it.

I think that they have not made any lately because they can't find the torch :laughing::bonjour:
Post their email addresses. We'll tell them where it is.

I use the site www.searchtempest.com for CL ads. It also lists eBay and Amazon at the bottom. The search engine lets you put in a location, max driving distance, etc.

I had to sign up for Facebook at work when our GM assembly plant was shut down for COVID a couple of years ago. That was our plant leadership's communication method during the down time. Facebook Marketplace is like CL but on Facebook. Problem is you can't attach the links (I can't, might be operator error).

Have fun shopping! Looks like a couple of those grinders a close to you and a pretty good deal.

Bruce
Well, now you've motivated me. I think my first call will be to a machinist maintenance guru I spoke with a couple of years ago. He had a very nice surface grinder that he contemplated selling me but just didn't want to part with it. He doesn't use it; he just didn't want to sell it. What I like about his equipment (I've bought a hydraulic press and a 12" rotary table from him) is he KNOWS what he's looking at and whether it's a keeper or junk. And he's straight up honest. If he says it's good, it's good. If it's junk, he won't even end up with it - much less, try to sell it.

If that doesn't work out, the shopping begins anew. I'm sure my wife will want to text you to personally thank you.:grin big::grin big::grin big:

Regards

Again not a major project, rather a small need in the shop. Mechanic was replacing the rear emergency brake springs in a Volvo wagon. They use a set of small brake shoes inside of a small drum formed inside of the rear disk and hold them on with weird springs.

There is a special tool for removal and installation pictured in the service manual but we didn't have it. Between two techs they managed to fight to originals off with needlenose pliers and screwdrivers. While they were doing that I quickly spun down a shaft and milled a slot in it similar to the picture in the manual. The factory tool had a handle on it like a screwdriver, but there is not much twist involved more just compressing the spring against the shoe and hooking the end in the backing plate so I didn't get too fancy on a possible one time tool.

Time involved was minimal as you can imagine but the time saving is immeasurable. Just one more reason to justify having a lathe and mill on premises, as if I really needed justification. It is so handy to be able to spin out a tool in minutes from scrap metal rather than disable a car while you air freight one in or screw up the new spring installing them. When used it took less than 5 seconds to install each new spring. I consider that a success.

I used the term scrap metal wrongly in the previous paragraph. It is actually neglected metal that has not found it's purpose yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back