2018 POTD Thread Archive

Buck, I have nothing to do with the management of this site, but here's my thoughts.

I agree with the decision to remove your earlier post. Here's why:
That post came off like a personal attack on one member. I don't remember the exact language used, but when I saw it I thought your comments were unfair. They did NOT contain facts, but just an opinion that was given in a demeaning way. Contrary to your phrasing "criticism of the practice" it was a blatant put-down of an individual member of this site.

It is up to the wisdom of the user/reader to do their own "due diligence" on any matter of machining safety and come to their own conclusions as to risk. I sharpen drill bits on the side of a grinding wheel (gasp!), with a store-bought jig that was designed for and documented to be used that way. Some people here cringe and dispute the safety of the method, and that is their right. But they do so in a cordial way, and I appreciate their comments.

However, your new post (#11026 in this thread) is better.....
You make no personal attacks.
You do mention OSHA and ANSI specifications and standards as places to do some research.
You use more appropriate language like "increase the probability of failure of the wheel".
Although it could be argued that you still present a demeaning attitude towards the site and its management.

-brino

I do safety for a living. I am twice degreed in Industrial Safety with years of experience in safe work practices and safety in the workplace. Sometimes ideas are presented that are outrageously unsafe, and this was one such time in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the anonymity of the web can sometimes cause problems.
Also the differences in terminology, limited time, language and culture barriers, sensitivities, etc.
These all add up people respond in ways that can seem unintentionally harsh.

To me that's what makes this site different.
People can come here and know they won't be treated poorly....intentionally or unintentionally.

I _try_ to never respond if I don't have time to review it before I post it.
I _try_ to be sure my words cannot be misinterpreted/misconstrued.
I don't always reach my goals.

I see that you are passionate about safety.
I hope you do keep posting.

-brino

Just a friendly reminder from our forum rules:

DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.

DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.

DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. Posting that you are "just putting up with us for the information" is not polite. Be polite or go elsewhere. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Along with this:

"There are various ways of expressing things. We like to correct with kindness rather than by kicking someone in the butt. We understand that both are meant to be helpful, but one way doesn't leave its intended target feeling that he is disrespected and/or picked on"

Thank you.

Just a friendly reminder from our forum rules:

DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.

DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.

DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. Posting that you are "just putting up with us for the information" is not polite. Be polite or go elsewhere. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Along with this:

"There are various ways of expressing things. We like to correct with kindness rather than by kicking someone in the butt. We understand that both are meant to be helpful, but one way doesn't leave its intended target feeling that he is disrespected and/or picked on"

Thank you.

I think it might be a good time to put a spit shine on your number 10 brogans and plant it in my backside as you show me the door! LOL

I was intending to remain as a non posting member, but in light of that rule I guess that is not an option for me so we should probably save ourselves the trouble of you guys having to prompt me when I need to post and just punch my ticket right now.

I will contact people I know on this forum and on the internet and encourage them to leave the forum or become non-posting members given the Neanderthal membership that runs this site, beginning with Nelson, of course.

It's no wonder no one with any degree of skill or craftsmanship ever comes to this forum.

UB out

EDITORS NOTE:

The very next day after Uncle Buck posted this message telling us to "boot" him, he registered another machinist forum:

Domain Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2239317046_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.porkbun.com
Registrar URL: http://www.porkbun.com
Updated Date: 2018-03-15 15:29:04
Created Date: 2018-03-15 15:29:03

His behavior, and that of others that joined him, was entirely planned.

U N C L E B U C K' S profile on GarageJournal.com:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/member.php?u=1824

The Garage Journal Board > Members List
Uncle B u c k 's Profile
Welcome, Nelson58.

You last visited: 04-29-2018 at 05:29 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 2.

U n c l e B u c k
user_offline.gif

Banned

I think it might be a good time to put a spit shine on your number 10 brogans and plant it in my backside as you show me the door! LOL

I was intending to remain as a non posting member, but in light of that rule I guess that is not an option for me so we should probably save ourselves the trouble of you guys having to prompt me when I need to post and just punch my ticket right now.

I will contact people I know on this forum and on the internet and encourage them to leave the forum or become non-posting members given the Neanderthal membership that runs this site, beginning with Nelson, of course.

It's no wonder no one with any degree of skill or craftsmanship ever comes to this forum.

UB out

Rather than delete Uncle Buck's post, I left it in order to reflect what happened here.

This is the SECOND time Uncle Buck was a member of this forum.
The FIRST time, he made some comments that violated our policies.
Then he began contacting people and encouraging them not to participate.
Some time ago, he asked to return, promising us that he would behave better. He was allowed to return.
But, as you can see, he hasn't.

He was given two chances.
I meant what I said when I said that people who had differences with us in the past would be welcome again.
Life is way too short to hold grudges.
I'm not going to carry that baggage with me. It's too heavy.

Uncle Buck has not been banned. His account has not been removed or closed.
I am going to close this thread, in order to let things calm down, and ask the participants to open a new thread on this topic.

Thank you for your patience.

Nelson

Last edited:
Posted this yesterday and it got lost in the server crash, so bear with me. My son's hobby is restoring BMW's, he needed a factory tool that is no longer made, but had a shop drawing. So I made one for him. It is a tool for setting front suspension heights.bmwtool.jpg

Back