2018 POTD Thread Archive

who's the boss Ray?

Argus the African Grey... He's pretty bossy indeed. Very demanding. And when something goes wrong in the shop, he rattles off a cuss-word usually before I do. He's a little over 20 years old now and has seen a lot of shop work. He refuses to wear eye protection and my best attempts to install earplugs have never been successful so, he has to go back in the house during certain activities. Same with Sash and little Linus who you can see in my icon. I have another dog, Leila, a Rat Terrier who is really chilled-out. Sometimes all 3 dogs and Argus sleep together -especially in the winter.

I'm the servant to all 4 of them.

What's the story on your K9? Looks like an astute and faithful friend.

Ray

Argus the African Grey... He's pretty bossy indeed. Very demanding. And when something goes wrong in the shop, he rattles off a cuss-word usually before I do. He's a little over 20 years old now and has seen a lot of shop work. He refuses to wear eye protection and my best attempts to install earplugs have never been successful so, he has to go back in the house during certain activities. Same with Sash and little Linus who you can see in my icon. I have another dog, Leila, a Rat Terrier who is really chilled-out. Sometimes all 3 dogs and Argus sleep together -especially in the winter.

I'm the servant to all 4 of them.

What's the story on your K9? Looks like an astute and faithful friend.

Ray
My icon is gone. We put him down Feb 2017. He was 18 and the best dog. He would grab frisbees 6' out of the air, smart, .. the best. In August we opened our hearts to a large German Sheppard pure bred. He's a rescue, I got lucky. A big guy , big personality that likes to play and have belly rubs.

I'm impressed that the dogs and boss sleep together. especially the rat terrier. I would think that she would go after Argus, just knowing terriers as small animal hunters.

A couple of days ago my bride came in and said the "van won't start". Went out to the garage and turned the key on part way..radio on..check, turn on headlights...check...turn key to crank...click...click...click. Ok Hi impedance battery, it is 7 years old.. Time for the charger to get it started.

This is a 2003 dodge grand caravan. reached down under the dash to pull the hood release lever and it released and the plastic lever broken and fell apart. Fortunately the hood opened, got the big charger on the bat, started the van and we went for a new bat. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.

Please enjoy and chuckle and have pitty.
Broken latch fingers.broken hinge mounting ears.jpg so had to get some measurements in order to make a replacement for the two broken hinge fingers. then remove the broken fingers.
broken hinge ears removed.jpg
So now to mill a new part out of aluminum to be attached.
new replacement ears.jpg
So the new insert has two tapped holes for 6-32 retaining screws. However it had to be attached to the hood release handle before we could drill the cross holes in the retaining ears.
latch handle mounted for drilling.jpgdrilling holes in new hinge ears.jpg

new part dry fit.jpg
completed assembly open.jpgcompleted hood latch assembly.jpg

Guys I am not even sure why I am posting this..other than it is the thread what did you do today.

David

While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.
:) bet you feel better now. :grin:

t. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.
Projects like this just makes my day. you get to play with your toys in the shop and also become a hero for one day.

A couple of days ago my bride came in and said the "van won't start". Went out to the garage and turned the key on part way..radio on..check, turn on headlights...check...turn key to crank...click...click...click. Ok Hi impedance battery, it is 7 years old.. Time for the charger to get it started.

This is a 2003 dodge grand caravan. reached down under the dash to pull the hood release lever and it released and the plastic lever broken and fell apart. Fortunately the hood opened, got the big charger on the bat, started the van and we went for a new bat. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.

Please enjoy and chuckle and have pitty.
Broken latch fingers.View attachment 263328 so had to get some measurements in order to make a replacement for the two broken hinge fingers. then remove the broken fingers.
View attachment 263329
So now to mill a new part out of aluminum to be attached.
View attachment 263330
So the new insert has two tapped holes for 6-32 retaining screws. However it had to be attached to the hood release handle before we could drill the cross holes in the retaining ears.
View attachment 263331View attachment 263332

View attachment 263333
View attachment 263334View attachment 263335

Guys I am not even sure why I am posting this..other than it is the thread what did you do today.

David

Hey, the very first job that I did on my Tormach was machining a new lid latch for my wife's Cuisinart teapot. It was machined from aluminum and replaced the broken plastic part. That was more than six years ago and it's still going strong.

It may be a minor project but in your significant other's eyes, you're a hero. It also helps to justify the $10,000 machine.

If the hood latch on my Grand Caravan ever fails, I may PM you for your design.:penny:

I hope i can do jobs like this. My wife is like we need ti e saving money for a house. (I rent from my parents) i said its not just a phase though its a hobby and part of my job ad wuld be like homework. Id rather buy now wile we can afford it and i have the opportunity to get these great machines.

Back