2018 POTD Thread Archive

Switched my walk-behind mower from winter to summer mode (from plow to mowing deck, and different tires), and servicing it. The blower for the bagging system now has a slightly shorter intake hose (as it's shared with the vacuum project I recently completed), so I needed to create a short angled extension for my deck so it could connect to it:

IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

These are easier to "angle" than the blower output nozzle I made, because I don't need to fab up a bunch of strips to connect two rings together. Instead, I can make some more rings, then cut them at an angle, rotate one half 180 degrees and then weld it back together.

The extension is removable, because I have one home to do where I have to flip that black housing up to get it through a gate, and the extension prevents it from flipping all the way over.

I have to make a similar extension for the blower output, to change the angle of it, as the 7" hose can't bend sharply enough. Got started on it, will complete it tomorrow:
IMG_1156.jpg

The ring-making tool I bought has definitely paid for itself. The only thing I've found is that if you make a ring by sneaking up on it (slowly adjusting it to make a tighter and tighter curve) until it's just right, if you then put in a new, flat piece of metal to make another ring, it will be much too tight, and then it's a hassle to bend it flat enough everywhere to get the right curve...

Switched my walk-behind mower from winter to summer mode (from plow to mowing deck, and different tires), and servicing it. The blower for the bagging system now has a slightly shorter intake hose (as it's shared with the vacuum project I recently completed), so I needed to create a short angled extension for my deck so it could connect to it:

View attachment 266001
View attachment 266002

These are easier to "angle" than the blower output nozzle I made, because I don't need to fab up a bunch of strips to connect two rings together. Instead, I can make some more rings, then cut them at an angle, rotate one half 180 degrees and then weld it back together.

The extension is removable, because I have one home to do where I have to flip that black housing up to get it through a gate, and the extension prevents it from flipping all the way over.

I have to make a similar extension for the blower output, to change the angle of it, as the 7" hose can't bend sharply enough. Got started on it, will complete it tomorrow:
View attachment 266003

The ring-making tool I bought has definitely paid for itself. The only thing I've found is that if you make a ring by sneaking up on it (slowly adjusting it to make a tighter and tighter curve) until it's just right, if you then put in a new, flat piece of metal to make another ring, it will be much too tight, and then it's a hassle to bend it flat enough everywhere to get the right curve...
This may help you. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pipe-expander

f2c5784a341b70b9d390851034b694a6.jpg
Made a mount for my deburr set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been working on the Power Lift for the Head on my G0704.
Just got done wiring up the motor, switches and controller. No smoke and the motor turns both directions. :applause 2:
Motor is a Bodine 90vdc, 1/50HP, 14 RPM, gear ratio 180:1 not very fast, but it will do the job.
Gotta love those Love Joy Couplings. So easy to connect with. 10mm Mill shaft and 1/2" motor shaft, easy peasy.
Have to take the hand crank off to get the bolt pattern on the mill.
Waiting on Project box and need to pick up some wire loom to fish the motor harness thru to control box.
Just about done.

1524629376874.png

1524629407870.png

Carrying on from yesterday (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-579371)

Made another ring, this time 4" wide. It twisted a little in my ring-maker (which is designed/rated for up to 1" wide stuff), but rolling each side it was pretty close. It was tricky to put tape on the rings at an angle to cut it with a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder (thinking about it, if I had a large enough bandsaw or powered hacksaw, holding the ring at an angle would produce a much better cut so the surfaces would match up nicely when one half is rotated 180 degrees). As it was, the tape job/cutting was all I had, ground the cut edges to make them more even, then welded them together.

IMG_1157.jpg

9 lbs of 14 gauge steel, 1 lbs of flux core... (much better ratio than those output nozzles I made earlier)
IMG_1158.jpg
And mounted in position:
IMG_1159.jpg

Now, off to buy a slightly longer tube to connect from there to the bagger (out of the picture, it's to my immediate right as I was taking the picture), which will be ridiculously expensive (IIRC, it's in the $50/foot range).

Been working on the Power Lift for the Head on my G0704.
Just got done wiring up the motor, switches and controller. No smoke and the motor turns both directions. :applause 2:
Motor is a Bodine 90vdc, 1/50HP, 14 RPM, gear ratio 180:1 not very fast, but it will do the job.
Gotta love those Love Joy Couplings. So easy to connect with. 10mm Mill shaft and 1/2" motor shaft, easy peasy.
Have to take the hand crank off to get the bolt pattern on the mill.
Waiting on Project box and need to pick up some wire loom to fish the motor harness thru to control box.
Just about done.

View attachment 266071

View attachment 266072
Just curious, is that controller a MC2100 from a treadmill ?
I’ve given thought to doing the same.
Looks good!

I assembled a MachTach last night for my mill. I tested it on the bench and everything seemed to work. This morning I mounted the board in the box and mounted the sensor to the mill. I decided to put the sensor triggers on the bottom of the spindle pulley. How do I get twelve triggers spaced evenly? I could have used just two triggers but that’s no fun.
Poor people have poor ways but it worked. Printed a clock face and squared it on the table then mounted a boring head with a boring bar in the chuck to use as a clock arm. It worked.73D9757A-3F4F-481F-92C2-AF96EC112346.jpeg57DDFC64-B5CC-42AE-84F8-1785B3E2D4FE.jpeg

No, it's actually a MC60 from an old Treadmill.
I picked up several old treadmills a few years back and stripped them and the motors out for use later.
Those MC60 boards are so easy to use and they don't require you to reset the pot back to zero when you restart.
110vac in and 30 to 130vdc out.

Reactions: Z2V
No, it's actually a MC60 from an old Treadmill.
I picked up several old treadmills a few years back and stripped them and the motors out for use later.
Those MC60 boards are so easy to use and they don't require you to reset the pot back to zero when you restart.
110vac in and 30 to 130vdc out.

In the pic it looks larger than a MC60. I agree, very good controller. I am using them on my belt grinder and buffer.
I’ll be watching for updates. Nice work.

Back