2018 POTD Thread Archive

347c0613bb7af2efa6a78eaaa6b3367b.jpg
Needed a door stop so I made one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I quickly got very frustrated with the mounting setup I made here (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-584122) for the repowered blower.

That mount was based around a 1.5x1.5x1/8" square tube that slides over a 1.25x1.25x1/8" square tube, then I put a pin through a arm attached to the larger tube to keep it level and attached to the mower/vacuum.

The problem is that it is pretty difficult to remove from the mower and only a little easier to install it. The tubing sizes are too close, so there is a lot of friction, the weight of the engine/blower isn't centered over the tubing, and the handle I put on the blower for lifting the assembly also isn't centered.

This setup might not have been so bad if I had used 1.5x1.5x.100 tubing, but it would still be pretty awkward, as the the motor/blower assembly weights about 80-90 lbs.

Instead, I decided to scrap that mount and make a new setup, one that I can place this assembly on top of, then put a couple pins in to hold it in place.

The new setup (made on Wednesday)

This part stays on the mower, the base of the engine/blower mount sits in that valley.
IMG_1192.jpg

The mount:
IMG_1191.jpg

Today (well, on Thursday), I added another pin to hold down the blower mount, as the assembly would tilt forward/right a bit (the yellow part closest the mower would tilt upwards) on sloped ground.
IMG_1193.jpg

I had to slightly modify the mount on the vacuum for this new setup as well, and added a similar pin setup to prevent it from tilting on the vacuum this same way.

I'm not going to have the time until later tonight to do some in depth searching, and I need to save some time.
I figure to post this and rely on the H-M expertise pool to save me. :grin:

Right in the middle of a run, and the brake lever, no matter which way I throw it, it will not hold the spindle.
Break it to me gently.
Am I looking at having to tear into the Head?
Any possibility it's something in the handle linkage?
What are the chances that the brake shoes are still good?

I'm heading back out into the shop to try to get the drawbar loose and get the collet out.
And yes, the key inside is missing... *SIGH* Just when I was rolling. Thanks!

-=-EDIT-=- Cool! Who fixed it for me?
Went up to it, addressed it kindly, jiggled the lever back & forth and around, grabbed it and it stopped at the '8 O'Clock' position.
Locked and I removed the cutter and collet.
90 minutes ago it wasn't grabbing. Moving the lever clockwise it would got around to a 9:30-10:00 position, CCW it would go to a 2:00-2:30ish.
Now it's grabbing at 4&8.
What the heck? Big Arse Gremlins? I don't get it.
Posted this yesterday and it got lost in the server crash, so bear with me. My son's hobby is restoring BMW's, he needed a factory tool that is no longer made, but had a shop drawing. So I made one for him. It is a tool for setting front suspension heights.View attachment 262254
Yeah you are correct-vertical. Regarding roller or solid? I'm not sure.
I will find out soon enough. What would be better in your opinion?
I wish I could go to a showroom somewhere and look, see, compare machines but those days are over I guess.
The exception is Grizzly, the next time I am in Washington I will swing by. You then have Grizzly choices.

You are an amazing Father!

I did work on the kit car again today. I adjusted the handbrake, modified the accelerator pedal (the pedals are very close together such that I was sometimes hitting the gas at the same time as the clutch). I also enlarged the holes in the exhaust escutcheons:

6AC110FC-D41E-41B2-86A6-C267C01550E6.jpeg
B2DCE38C-A320-4BB9-B63A-10311153CB57.jpeg

Hey great old one
I don’t know about where your at but isn’t there a brake pedal in between the gas a clutch?
Love that boring and facing head you got there. Just picked one up a couple months ago. Love it!

Back