2018 POTD Thread Archive

this light is like Grandpa's axe - this is its 3rd iteration (at least), with 2 different LEDs, 3 different batteries and countless switches. It's also the most important rear light on my bike as it is both on (distance perception for approaching drivers) and flashing (to get their attention). It even has a double-double flash which I wrote the code for myself. Only took me a year to learn how!

anyway, this is the old one - charger was failing and the switch was on the way out (turned the light off on bumps)
attachment.php

it's what I call a "sled light", where all the components are attached to a sled(s) that then slide into a tube. Super simple to make, even with hand tools, and relatively light. PITA to service though.

starting materials

some random alu scrap, some scavenged batteries (3 for a total of 4Ah) and a microUSB charging+protection circuit
attachment.php

some 1.5in square tubing from the scrap yard
attachment.php

pocket for charger milled out, then hacked out with a Dremel and carbide burr, plus a couple of screws for extra security
attachment.php

milling some slots in the back, plus the switch and charger hole. impromptu machinists jack stopped the whole lot from singing too badly
attachment.php

sled and housing finished and polished prior to anodising
attachment.php

ta da! Didn't come out bad. The mystery tubing allow didn't anodise as well, some smut and it didn't take the dye as deeply. Next time I'll anodise different parts separately so the settings are right for each part rather than the whole assembly.
attachment.php

starting the wiring process
attachment.php

showing a whoopsie where I cut deeper than intended while carving out the charger hole and cut into that when I did the o-ring groove. Nothing a bit of JB weld can't cure
attachment.php

driver holder. Fatigued solder joints has been a major source of problems with the previous versions, especially as this light sees a lot of road vibration, so this should reduce any chance of wires and parts moving relative to each other
attachment.php

LED star installed. These are relatively old XP-E red LEDs. The new XP-E2 LEDs would be brighter still. The star is parallel wired so the forward voltage is the same as 1 LED (about 2.5V) and the current draw of each LED is 1/3 of the output of the driver (~1.8A).
attachment.php

everything installed. Didn't take pics of the finished wiring job as I was trying to get everything finished before dinner. The 3 batteries only just fit.

Clear part is made from 2 pieces of lexan, one bored to fit the optic, 5 minute epoxied together. Then the edges were milled to send some light back and forward at an angle to increase side visibility.
attachment.php

the back
attachment.php

front on view
attachment.php

Cateye clip on the bottom and extra screw to increase thermal transfer from the sled to the housing
attachment.php

on full
attachment.php

I was happy to have this riding home in the rain tonight. I'm much less worried about being hit from behind with a couple of bright lights out back.

Now to get back to the front light!

Last couple of days i've been working in the big garage on the lada niva, cutting out rust and welding new metal, i could not found patch panels so i'm having to form and shape the sheet metal, also needs to be thick because the russians made this thing from 1mm and thiker steel, so it's been a slow process, just taking off the undercoating from this wheel arch and all the bando took 2 hours i also found newspaper in there, the bottom corner was only plastic filler and fell off, i did used an old fender i had for part of the inner structure and began rebuilding from there, i'm hoping by the end of today to have this side finished, also need to fill this random hole in the rear fender , probably from CB antenna, work, work.
IMG_20181020_184006.jpgIMG_20181020_184021.jpgIMG_20181022_151845.jpgIMG_20181022_185007.jpg

I machined up a steel plate to screw down to my work bench. Since my shop is small I don’t have don’t have room for a surface plate. I plan to use this plate for lay out and something solid and flat to do some measurements on. Here is the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today i managed to finish welding this fender, also started to seal the new trunk floor, but run out of seam sealer, i'll get more tomorrow, also i visited a car junkyard where i picked up couple of LPG (propane) tanks, two have some surface rust nothing serious, also pick up couple door and window handles, couple pieces of trim, wirings not bad for the prices.
IMG_20181023_160413.jpgIMG_20181023_160352.jpg

i visited a car junkyard where i picked up couple of LPG (propane) tanks

So I guess your intention is to keep this as an LPG fuelled and not convert it back to gasoline?
Keep the pictures coming. Very interesting restore (rebuild)

It is a dual fuel system, it still runs on gasoline but can be switched on LPG, most people just leave it on lpg entire life of the vehicle, LPG is less than half price of gasoline. I'll be posting the progress as i make it.

You get a round coaster made from aluminum, and you get a round coaster made from aluminum, and you get a round coaster made from aluminum...

Back