2018 POTD Thread Archive

Love the mc grip!!!! Played a little last and made this. I have a blast playing around! Learning a lot( which means, I'm making mistakes!!) Still fun.

20181115_151715.jpg

20181115_152015.jpg

1/4 inch stainless. No idea what number of stainless!!!! I've made several of these, but this is the smallest. Lots of fun.

Today i continue working on the little 4x4, first thing on the list was to remove the drivers seat, this was difficult because, the previous owner had welded the seats directly to the floor and there was no space for a cut off wheel, i left it last so i can drive it around, and first thing i notice the very thick metal plate is not welded to the sides, but i has two bolts going down to the rear axle link, so i hit the axle mount and the entire plate moves, so i decided to remove it and see what is hiding, it was very hard to cut, i used up 4 quality cutting stones to cut it in half not sure what type of steel is but the color indicators may be military, very thick stuff, after an hour i finally took it off, there was lot off loose metal pieces and the mount floating in air, the chassis member is an inch over so i'll weld it to it and install new piece of floor, unexpected patch but better now then when is finished, also i found damage on the wires that go to the back so i'll be fixing them too, i only opens up more work today but it took surprisingly long time.
IMG_20181114_192700.jpgIMG_20181114_192708.jpgIMG_20181114_194112.jpgIMG_20181114_195426.jpgIMG_20181114_195439.jpg

I did a honey do the other day. Chris asked me to make this plate to hold plastic tubes for tests for her work. Here is the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late last night after finishing couple of jobs, i fired up couple of heaters in the big garage and worked all thru the night, first on the list was to take the dashboard out it is cracked in many places but replacements are not available, so i'll be repairing it soon, good thing is it has a thick metal plate on the inside so the structure is solid, removing the dash mean disassembling the glove box, switches, choke which took some time but wasn't even close to difficult. Next on the list was the heater unit, coolant hoses are disconnected so i suspect is leaking also i full of crap, this parts also gain me access to more wiring and to remove the rest of the factory insulation, there was loads of dirt and loose rust on the floor so i used my shop vac to vacuum it out and then angle grinder with wire brush to clean the rest out, this made a rust cloud that fill the entire garage. When waiting for the inside to vent out, i started on the front end, started by removing the bumper supports, the grill, the indicators, the lights, the little Lada sure comes apart easily. Then i vacuum out the inside again scraped all the loose rust by hand, and assess the repairs i'll have to make. Considering the on the other side this side is easy, last thing i did i spray some more of that anti rust acid all over the floor, i'll need to do something for heating this garage if i plan to finish this project before summer.
IMG_20181115_182121.jpgIMG_20181115_183446.jpgIMG_20181115_190142_1.jpgIMG_20181115_201222_1.jpgIMG_20181115_201231.jpgIMG_20181115_201253.jpgIMG_20181115_201258.jpg

Today i continue working on the little 4x4

This is quite the restoration/rebuild project. I am impressed with how fast you are moving through the work. Love all the pictures

I bet that little car has some awesome stories it could tell.

It sure has some stories, ex government vehicle, bought at an auction and used and modified by someone with absolutely no concern about safety, it has only 35 000 miles on it so it has been sitting on government parking lots for more then 30 years, the low mileage is the only reason why i bought it, the drive train is very tight.

Back