2018 POTD Thread Archive

Made A Funnel

My son and I reload pistol ammo on a Dillon press. When we weigh out powder, it's poured into the die through a plastic
funnel which came with the press. Since all the dies are stainless, I decided to make a matching stainless funnel. The
secondary reason was to procrastinate by spending time playing in the shop rather than cleaning the gutters.

View attachment 280535

View attachment 280536
Another good reason- eliminates the problems with static electricity. Very nice job!

Turned out these little things for a buddy. I guess a Schrader valve cap fits perfectly inside a 40 caliber casing, but he didn't like the looks of a spent primer cap in the end and didn't want to use an un-fired one either. So I made fake primers out of some stainless and loctited them in. For tires on two cars and one motorbike. And in case anyone cares, 0.173" diameter by 0.110" long fits perfectly :)

image.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

-frank

Yesterday i had couple of jobs on the lathe, some of i'll have to finish today, first was this starter motor rotor, had to resurface the commutator , looks like someone tried starting it in gear. Then i started making spacers for the Little Niva i'll have to re engineer the gearbox and transfer case mounts the originals are a bolt thru the floor sheet metal and the spreader plate is from underneath weak weak design, the plan is to make a cage and fabricate a skid shield to make it bulletproof, my back is getting better and i'll try to work on finish welding the floor on the Little 4x4
IMG_20181123_194541.jpgIMG_20181123_201925.jpgIMG_20181123_204137.jpg

Today was a rollercoaster of a day, started by putting in hard work on welding a new floor in the little Niva, but 4 inches before the finish i run out of welding wire, so i had to stop and go and buy some more, while out i bought this set of used seats. Original lada seats are terrible so i'll be modifying and engineering new seat rails to make them tilt and fit the very narrow 4x4, but i know they'll be comfortable, as they are from a Peugeot 605 and french know how to make a comfortable car, by the time i got back and unloaded them was too late to continue welding.
IMG_20181123_181511_1.jpgIMG_20181123_181518.jpgIMG_20181123_192728.jpg

Someone, who owned my lathe before me, who should have never been allowed to touch a lathe, or any tool for that matter, decided it would be a great idea to use vise grips to remove the crossfeed dial...20181124_161645.jpg
So I had to spend the day fixing it, then decided why stop there, and did a bit of cleaning...
20181124_160059.jpg
Was able to file, sand, and buff most of the poor girls scars off.
20181124_194753.jpg
Went ahead and started stripping some of the two color, slap on, paint job as well. Soon she will be good as new! Guess there's worse ways to spend a Saturday, but ida rather been making chips. Seriously though, if you're going to own a lathe please invest in a spanner wrench.

20181124_194753.jpg

Back