2018 POTD Thread Archive

Today i had some good news and some bad news, good news the material i've order come in after two weeks, this is some 30x40mm 1/4 inch wall tubing, from what i'll be making a gearbox and transfer case brace and mounts the oem mounts are junk so i'll be re engineering the entire mounting and protection for the driveline, the steel place did not have such small but thick wall tubing in stock so they ordered me some, the bad news come when i started to look in the the front wings on the little Niva, i pop off some cracked filler and realized the whoever ever "fix" those wings simply pop retted some metal and put on a plastic filler over the top, on the corners he even used thin aluminium sheets, i did not expect to have to redo the entire front end , even the front panel in between the headlights has lots of rust, this won't be fun to fix or do body work, i may focus on the new cross member and underneath to let the disappointment pass.
IMG_20181123_192220.jpgIMG_20181125_184233.jpgIMG_20181125_184239.jpgIMG_20181125_184248.jpgIMG_20181125_184730_1.jpg

GoceKU, By the time you finish there is not going to be much left of the original Niva.

GoceKU, By the time you finish there is not going to be much left of the original Niva.

That may not be a bad thing, especially for electrical and rubber components, because the factory ones are rubbish.

My beloved hot tub kicked the bucket this year. Repairs are more than I can justify so I have to get rid of it.
I can get it hauled off for $300 or do it myself. I can't spare the $300.
The city will take anything that's under 6 feet. The tub is 7.5' square, so I'll have to quarter it.
It's heavy, about 950 pounds and I don't have a helper.

I removed all the panels and pumps and whatever else would come loose. I hoped that maybe I could mostly peel it down to the tub, but the foam is such a mess that isn't practical. So, I sawed the tub from the inside on the four sides down to the bottom. The cuts didn't go all the way through to the outside. The plan is to turn it upside down and finish the cuts on the bottom and outsides. My heavy duty Sawsall went through the fiberglass and hoses easily.

The plan was to slide the hot tub off the deck and turn it upside down in the yard on some 4x4s.

I wrapped a chain around the back of the tub and secured some straps to a couple of deck piers and used two come-alongs to pull the tub about a third of the way over the edge of the deck.
Twelve years ago, I could scoot the hot tub with muscles when it was empty. Not so, now.

IMG_1177.JPG

Then I used a floor jack and a tall screw jack to tilt it up as high as I could then used a farm jack to tilt it to as high as I could get it.
This is where it got dangerous. I had to keep tapping the base of the farm jack forward with a sledge hammer as it got higher. The ladders were a feeble attempt to shore it up. It's a good thing it didn't come off the jack.

IMG_1178.JPG

A friend agreed to come over after work and helped me give it a mighty push to tip it off the deck. I may could have done it myself, but if I couldn't, I would have been in a pickle. Fortunately, it landed stood up on its side and one more push to tump it over upside down.

IMG_1180.JPG

From here, I'll finish the cuts and hopefully it will be in four pieces. I have helper that can come on the weekend and help me get the quarters on a cart to haul to the curb.

This was a sad project to start. But, I'm over it now and in the get-er-done mode.

Last edited:
gotta luv a Sawzall. Glad you got turned over safely.

I finally made a 1/2" indexable tool for my Holdridge 3D radius cutter (to utilize the 80 or so DCMT inserts I have). The issue is that their indexable tools only work with their over-priced inserts ($20+ a pop). I really dislike this practice, so I set off to hopefully save people the aggravation of having to deal with their antics.

Left side of the first picture is the brazed tool the unit comes with. The central tool is the actual 2" long indexable tool Holdridge sells (which I modified to fit standard inserts). The right side is the one I made.

I7epABNl.jpg

My findings show that the only reason a DCMT (1/4 IC) will not work is due to the insert pocket being milled to the 11-degree relief angle of the Holdridge insert. This pushes the insert out so the holes of a DCMT will not align with the screw hole on the tool. Straighten these sides on their tool and you are good to go. BUT, the tools are expensive at around $90 a pc, so if anybody wants my .STEP file I would be happy to share it.

It took me a whole 1hr to make, well worth the time.

sCAij1Ol.jpg

My beloved hot tub kicked the bucket this year. Repairs are more than I can justify so I have to get rid of it.
I can get it hauled off for $300 or do it myself. I can't spare the $300.
The city will take anything that's under 6 feet. The tub is 7.5' square, so I'll have to quarter it.
It's heavy, about 950 pounds and I don't have a helper.

I removed all the panels and pumps and whatever else would come loose. I hoped that maybe I could mostly peel it down to the tub, but the foam is such a mess that isn't practical. So, I sawed the tub from the inside on the four sides down to the bottom. The cuts didn't go all the way through to the outside. The plan is to turn it upside down and finish the cuts on the bottom and outsides. My heavy duty Sawsall went through the fiberglass and hoses easily.

The plan was to slide the hot tub off the deck and turn it upside down in the yard on some 4x4s.

I wrapped a chain around the back of the tub and secured some straps to a couple of deck piers and used two come-alongs to pull the tub about a third of the way over the edge of the deck.
Twelve years ago, I could scoot the hot tub with muscles when it was empty. Not so, now.

View attachment 280914

Then I used a floor jack and a tall screw jack to tilt it up as high as I could then used a farm jack to tilt it to as high as I could get it.
This is where it got dangerous. I had to keep tapping the base of the farm jack forward with a sledge hammer as it got higher. The ladders were a feeble attempt to shore it up. It's a good thing it didn't come off the jack.

View attachment 280915

A friend agreed to come over after work and helped me give it a mighty push to tip it off the deck. I may could have done it myself, but if I couldn't, I would have been in a pickle. Fortunately, it landed stood up on its side and one more push to tump it over upside down.

View attachment 280916

From here, I'll finish the cuts and hopefully it will be in four pieces. I have helper that can come on the weekend and help me get the quarters on a cart to haul to the curb.

This was a sad project to start. But, I'm over it now and in the get-er-done mode.

Reminds me of two years ago mid December about 12” of snow on the ground. 2:30 clock out time at work. We get in our cars and head out. We have a windee road about a 1/4 mile to main road, We are a large company. Get past the first curve and find a six seater hot tub on its side in the middle of the road. Wtf surmised that someone had in the back of truck undid the straps and hit the gas. Fly dumped of course. Had to go get the bobcat and get rid of it for them.
Threw in the dumpster and the forks made short work of it.
I just winterized mine dread startup in the spring for just that reason. Looked like a nice tub.

It was a very nice tub, Cadillac. It was Hot Springs and cost a bundle 12 years ago. They are a double bundle, now.

It should be a crime to do what I did to it, but it was all but gone. The main very cool jet, the moto massage, was malfunctioning and the heater didn't work and it had a leak in one of the PVC joints way up where it couldn't be accessed. It would have been about $3K to have repaired. Used hot tubs don't get a very good price, plus the buyer has to be able to come get it.
I couldn't have given it away to anyone who would pick it up.

Back