2018 POTD Thread Archive

Maybe this should have gone under the category of what I un-made in my shop today.

The final chapter of the great hot tub un-making adventure is closed.
The truck the with the big claw picked it up (easily) from the curb and it's gone.
I was able to see the whole thing.

I love watching hydraulic tools work. They are so strong.
The guy didn't even try to grab it any certain way.
He just latched on and crunched gripping holes anywhere the claw was. The crunch was impressive.

After all that drama I had dealing with that weight and bulk, he just plopped it in the truck in about 3 minutes.

It's time to clean carburetors, recently i bought couple more carburetors so i can piece together couple good carburetors, first thing i did was to power wash all of them with high strength degreaser to take the grime off but the carburetors are extremely dirty inside and out. the plan is to make one good vacuum secondaries also one more mechanical secondaries carburetor, i pick the best carburetor and spent close to 4 hour taking it apart and cleaning it i did manage to get it spotless, blow out all the passages and run wire thru them, then i started assembly, i made all new gaskets from klingerit gasket material, and follow the factory service manual and assemble it, this took surprisingly long time, and now i have to learn how to tune a carburetor, i'll be installing a lambda sensor in the exhaust to run Air/Fuel ratio gauge so i can get it close then tune it by spark plugs.
IMG_20181203_162634.jpgIMG_20181203_162643.jpgIMG_20181203_170955.jpgIMG_20181203_171010.jpgIMG_20181203_173805_1.jpgIMG_20181203_173924.jpgIMG_20181203_175912.jpgIMG_20181203_182444.jpg

Two years ago we had a 20’ trailer we scrapped was rotted out. We loaded the trailer with some scrap equipment too. Drove to the junkyard. They have a excavator with a grapple arm on it and the cab and everything lifts like a scissor lift. Pretty cool.
Anyways I pull up with trailer loaded, and unhook. He drives over grabs a piece of equipment like 5k pounds grabs it and while he’s lifting he starts swinging the load and releases at the right time to throw the 5k pound piece like twenty feet on top the pile. Then comes back down picks up the trailer and throws the same way. Was done in less than a minute. Thought to myself that has to be the best job ever. Hydraulics are awesome!

Cooter I hate when the blade pulls out can ya fix that? I have three fatmax Stanley’s razors I don’t use because of this.

Here’s my project of the week. Friend of mine is a plumbers calls me last Thursday. Asks if I could build him a tool. He’s been having to work on a lot of houses where the main shut off wasn’t working or wasn’t one. He sent me a picture of the tool and said they were like 200 bucks can I make one. I said what the heck I’ll give her a try. And her she is.
028FFE5A-15F5-481B-B931-283C5D5A1C92.jpeg
It clamps down on the copper pipe and smooshes it. Then when done you release, spin 90* and crimp back to a round. It will do 3/4-1 1/2 pipe. Pretty cool design the bottom pieces come off or swing out so it can all be done in service.
image.jpg
I know any of you that have worked with copper pipe said no way it will crack rebending round. I think the same thing and I asked if he had ever used one and he said they work good. Not pretty but that’s what your delt with in emergency. Hey check cleared so I didn’t care.

It's time to clean carburetors, recently i bought couple more carburetors so i can piece together couple good carburetors, first thing i did was to power wash all of them with high strength degreaser to take the grime off but the carburetors are extremely dirty inside and out. the plan is to make one good vacuum secondaries also one more mechanical secondaries carburetor, i pick the best carburetor and spent close to 4 hour taking it apart and cleaning it i did manage to get it spotless, blow out all the passages and run wire thru them, then i started assembly, i made all new gaskets from klingerit gasket material, and follow the factory service manual and assemble it, this took surprisingly long time, and now i have to learn how to tune a carburetor, i'll be installing a lambda sensor in the exhaust to run Air/Fuel ratio gauge so i can get it close then tune it by spark plugs.

I recently watched a YouTube video that had caught my eye... Someone had their girlfriend use a craft cutter to cut out gaskets. I'd never thought of that. My hand-cut gaskets have always worked, but it brings another option to the table.

Nice work on those gaskets! Looks like a nice, steady hand!

Back