2018 POTD Thread Archive

Made a slitting saw arbor with a 3/4" shank for 1" arbor saw blades. Started from a 1.5" bar of 1144, so ended up with a lot of chips. Micro-mark 7x16 with carbide tooling; actually seemed to work out fairly well despite all the horror stories you hear. This might have been my smoothest project yet - writing up a plan beforehand helped a lot.
IMG_3089.JPGIMG_3088.JPGIMG_3087.JPG

Jaek- Why did you chose 1144? Do you intend to harden this?
Robert

It machines really easily and I guess it’s already pretty strong without further heat treating. Plenty of people talk about how neat stressproof is other than the cost, and this is what McMaster had. Should I have picked something else?

Today i had some free time so i did some more work on the little Lada, started by sending on the dashboard, is too cold i'm having to leave the body filler to cure overnight. I use 40 grit sandpaper on a block to flatten down the high spots, this took about half an hour and then i mixed up a second coat and apply it to all the places that needed it. The cap over the instruments has the worst damaged so it will need much more body filler, so i'm building it in layers. I left the dash to cure and went thru my spare parts, i found this big radiator, is from a turbo diesel, it has one outlet damaged but i should be able to machine a repair nipple on my lathe, also got out couple of cooling fans none of them really fits on the out side and are to small for the inside i'll keep looking for bigger if i don't find i'll modify the ones i've got. When i was dealing with the cooling system, i got out the spare water pump i got couple weeks ago, it's almost new, i removed the housing, made a new gasket for it, and gave it a wash with some soapy water, you can see the new design on the propeller this helps to move the coolant faster in the system, i also removed the alternator that i'll be throwing straight in the bin, it wasn't even installed right, and it isn't charging, the Russians are terrible when it comes to electrical, i'll be looking for a better replacement, probably from a german or a french car.
IMG_20181227_195534_1.jpgIMG_20181227_200704.jpgIMG_20181227_204608.jpgIMG_20181227_191700.jpgIMG_20181227_191727.jpgIMG_20181227_192828.jpgIMG_20181227_192014.jpgIMG_20181227_192005.jpgIMG_20181227_191908.jpgIMG_20181227_193710.jpgIMG_20181227_193728.jpg

Coming along nicely. That poor thing must have been owned by Ivan the Horrible. Cheers, Mike

Coming along nicely. That poor thing must have been owned by Ivan the Horrible. Cheers, Mike
Thank You Mike, unfortunately is worse than being owned by Ivan the Horrible, this is an ex government vehicle, bought at an surplus auction by a outlaw guy how did some of the repairs himself and others had done by an even worse body shop. That said i've had good experiences with ex government vehicles, my daily driver use to be in the president's motorcade as a support vehicle and its been cared for extensively, but unfortunately the department that had the little Lada didn't care that much for it.

Did a few fixes to clear off my bench:

Replacement handle for Mr Octopus the Sock Drier
attachment.php

Fixed a folding camping table. Two tabs had broken off ages ago and were fixed, one tab broke off this summer and the other was fine. Replaced both the "unfixed" tabs, just in case
attachment.php

Broke my glasses the night before going on a trip away with the family. Once my wife guided me to my spare set of glasses I fixed these with a piece of alu, some JB weld and a Dremel. They're really nice titanium frames and there's no money in the kitty right now to replace them.
attachment.php

Also cleaned and regreased a drill chuck without screwing it up, which was a pleasant change
attachment.php

Today i spent solid 7 hours cleaning my machine shop, there was lots of garbage and scrap all over the place, also all the machines needed cleaning, and the tooling got reorganized, sure makes a difference, now i can move around and get to all my tooling.
IMG_20181230_124038_BURST001_COVER.jpgIMG_20181230_124049.jpg

Today i spent solid 7 hours cleaning my machine shop, there was lots of garbage and scrap all over the place, also all the machines needed cleaning, and the tooling got reorganized, sure makes a difference, now i can move around and get to all my tooling.
View attachment 283632View attachment 283631
It always feels like a fresh start after a good cleaning and reorganizing.

Today i spent solid 7 hours cleaning my machine shop,

What!!! How dare you make the rest of us look bad. :oops:

Now I'm going to feel bad every time I look at my unorganized mess.

Feels great though, doesn't it. Someday I'll get mine straightened up again.

Back