2018 POTD Thread Archive

Now I'm going to feel bad every time I look at my unorganized mess.

Feels great though, doesn't it. Someday I'll get mine straightened up again.

Don't feel bad, this is my machine shop it's only 12 square meters, i have a big garage that is 158 square meters that is worse mess then this one, and if this one took me 7 hours that one will take me 170 hours, but one step at a time.

It always feels like a fresh start after a good cleaning and reorganizing.

I like to keep the shop organized as well, but shop cleaning days are also an opportunity to clean and maintain the machines. Today I
gave the lathe a good cleaning, laid down some way oil and lubed all the points that needed it. Also adjusted the belt tracking and straighted
out the platen on the belt sander. This kind of stuff doesn't happen very much when I'm focused on projects.

My garage gets pretty out of control every time that I do a largish project and gets cleaned up when I get good and tired of working in it. I am getting better about it. I have big plans for it this winter. My dad gave me a big surface plate and have no place for it right now. He used to be a pattern maker. He actually worked on something that had to do with some of the first space suites. His shop was not far from the David Clarke Industries in Worcester, Ma. He is ready to pass on all of his tools from that trade. Im only interested in the tools that cross over to metal working.

I was going to mention all about my latest project and most difficult I've attempted to date but you guys have beat me to it.
Yup, cleaning up the workshop.
Been 2 days so far and no end in sight.
Two more days should do it I hope and then it starts all over again.
I often wish I was a tidy worker and I really try hard but it never lasts.
Well done to those who can work in a tidy fashion but theres a big Grrrrrr in there

got another little project done, a light for my youngest daughter's closet. It's across the room from the window, so it's pretty dim in there. 6ft of cheapo LED strip lighting later and it's nice'n'bright
attachment.php

first time installing a receptacle, which I'm rather pleased with. Wired it in to a socket on the other side of the wall space and wired the outlet to the switch. 12VDC wall wart was from my stash.
attachment.php

used part of a closet door slider thing to mount the LEDs
attachment.php

total cost came to about $5 plus whatever 6ft of 14/2 Romex costs. Good practice for a much bigger job wiring up the kitchen for a ceiling fan and under counter lights.

POTD was keeping with the recent theme here, shop organization. I picked up a lot of end mills, spotting drills, center drills, taps, etc. from a shop that closed down in the Detroit area over 10 years ago. I had the cutters sorted by size and style and had them bagged in Ziploc's.

Made a cabinet this past summer to house stuff. The end mills went into Harbor Freight stackable bins with sheet metal pieces slipped into the card area to close off the fronts and give a spot for a label on top. The HF bins are fine, but their stacking feature is a PITA. They have pins/pegs on the bottoms that (poorly) align with the slots on the top. I had a drawer of taps that were housed in bins from Menards which have a better stacking feature. These have a ledge along the whole edge of the sides for much easier alignment for stacking. So, picked up a couple of bags of the red Menards bins at $0.59 each (plus the 11% discount) and swapped bins between the taps (on one level, not stacked) and the end mills (stacked two high).

Oh, the paper label taped to the sheet metal pieces denotes what's under the upper bin.

Bruce

Had my end mills in these stackable HF bins.
They were stacked two high in a drawer. Paper label
id's what's below.
20181230_152638.jpg

HF bin stacking feature. Real pain to get the pins
aligned with the slots on the lower bin.
20181230_152721.jpg

Menards (and probably others) stacking feature.
Works much better than the HF method.
20181230_152734.jpg

End mills all swapped over. Much easier to pull
an upper bin to get to what's underneath, then
set the upper bin back down.
20181230_155008.jpg

Taps now in the (non)stackable HF bins
20181230_155217.jpg

Back