2019 POTD Thread Archive

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today is the first day of 2019, and the first thing to tackle was the locks on the little Niva, the car come with couple of keys, of which the ignition lock is the wrong type and is not working properly, so couple of weeks ago i bought a used lock to replace it, today i clean it greased it also tested it and is ready to be installed, both doors have locks on them and thankfully one of the keys fits and after some lubricant seem to work as new, but the trunk lock has no keys and was in terrible shape, so i looked thru my spares and found one from a zastava 101, they are identical, but i also did not have keys for it, so i had to take it apart and rearrange the tumblers to make it fit the same key for the side doors, and finally the gas cap is not lockable back in the days no one use to steal gasoline, i looked thru my spares and found a lockable fuel cap, so i don't need to modify the cap door to lock, the new cap has 2 keys so i don't need to mess with it.
IMG_20190101_220912.jpg

Today the temperatures dropped significantly, and -14 celsius is forecasting for the next couple of days, so is time to figure some type of heating for the big garage, being a car guy i resorted to using car parts to achieve it, i have many webasto diesel heaters they are rated for 5 kw so i decided to give it a go, first i got me a piece of mdf and installed a cheap set of wheels to get it off ground, then i looked thru the radiator rack and found this Renault radiator i had some damage and a fan, so it should do the job, mounted it with zip ties and a piece of wood, then i mounted the heater unit, pump, diesel pump, expansion tank, i used some silicone on the broken part to connect a hose to the expansion tank and connected everything, i put on a water bottle to hold the diesel fuel but i may change it for something more sturdy. I need to install couple of switches and wire everything up and fill it with coolant and diesel i also need to make some sort of exhaust or chimney in the garage for it.
IMG_20190102_120656.jpgIMG_20190102_122611_1.jpgIMG_20190102_123340.jpgIMG_20190102_134126.jpg

Another Ball Turner using a BXA boring bar holder with bushings and a cheap boring head. Added pins on the back side of the holder and adjustable collars to limit the swing of the turner. Does require the compound to be set up at an awkward position for the cutter to reach center, think I'll make a shorter HSS holder for balls under 2". First ball turned always becomes the ball turner handle right?

Ball Turner 1.jpgBall Turner 2.jpg

Ball Turner 3.jpg

Someday I'll get mine straightened up again.

I may not live that long.... On the other hand my son, the boss, is coming before the end of the month to help install the new lathe. I'll have to clean us where we're going to put the lathe.

Finally finished the new counter-shaft pulley for my lathe. Started with a 6" diameter 3" tall chunk of 6061. Two months and 3 pails of swarf later this pulley appeared. The original 65 year old die cast Atlas pulley wobbled. The new machined pulley runs much smoother.

View attachment 282939View attachment 282941View attachment 282942View attachment 282943View attachment 282944View attachment 282945View attachment 282946View attachment 282947View attachment 282948View attachment 282949
Nice work on the pulley, looks great

I've got couple of days off work so it's time to finish the Little Niva. This morning we got the first real snow, never less i started working on the dashboard very early, couple of hours in i had to drop what i was doing and go and help couple of friends who think all season tires can be used in the winter and summer, but i got right back to work after i finish getting them unstuck and continued applying body filler and sanding on the dashboard and on the wheels, the wheels have been drying for weeks now, and most of them are pain to send, all those holes and curves took more than an hour a wheel, i also started to apply filler and sand it back on the body shell one spot at a time. Today i put in around 16 hours of hard work, doing body work.
IMG_20190103_140244.jpgIMG_20190103_152505.jpgIMG_20190103_152611.jpgIMG_20190103_152525.jpg

GoceKU, I really look forward to your updates on the Little Neva.

Spindle Mount 2.jpgSpindle Mount 6.jpgSpindle Mount 1.jpg

AC Servo mount for an upgraded CNC control system. Maybe 1 of 50 or so parts for this project. Will do a more detailed write up as I finish this project up, but it was a pretty neat part so I thought I might share.

Im building a small steam engine from a set of Stuart castings. Its 1 1/2 bore and 1 1/4 stroke, really to big to be called a model.
Anyway need two drain cocks for the cylinder. Finished one today.
IMG_4232.jpg
The body is 5/16 with a 1/4 hex and 10-32 tread. The stem is tapered to match the body which was reamed with a tapered reamer think it was a No 2 for dowel pins.

Greg

Back