2019 POTD Thread Archive

I screwed up twice, on in the earlier post about the vice handle video. I didn’t realize that the hex size was different between the 5” & 6” Kurt vices, Basically I sent Mr Pete the wrong size wrench.
So I made another one, but my spell check got me on the title and description. I’m not much of a machinist bit even worse proof reader.

Here is the companion video

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With those GI cans, if you decide to coat the inside with anything, be aware that there is a vent tube inside that runs from the cap area, across the top. If that gets plugged, then the fuel will gurgle out, with having to let air in, through the filler tube. If you have one of the screw in filler spouts, watch that the gasket does not cover the vent hole.

Also, some older, or aftermarket gaskets will swell up in contact with diesel.
Thanks Superburban, i have an original flexible metal spout that you just insert into the hole pull a lever to make it expand and pour. I couldn't stand the thougt of buying new cans with that safety crap all over them.

Tip: To reduce the chances of having Gerry cans stolen, I grab a paint pen and write "Mexico gas 81 octane" or "30:1 mix" on them. Working so far.

(from mobile)
Thats funny.
The valuable part is the Gerry can not the contents. I have 2 very old surplus cans that I have been using for diesel. When I decided that I wanted at least 2 more I looked on ebay and was shocked to see the prices. So, I checked Craigslist and found these 3 for $40 and had to drive 40 miles. I'm pretty sure these are NATO surplus from the 80's.

Thats funny.
The valuable part is the Gerry can not the contents. I have 2 very old surplus cans that I have been using for diesel. When I decided that I wanted at least 2 more I looked on ebay and was shocked to see the prices. So, I checked Craigslist and found these 3 for $40 and had to drive 40 miles. I'm pretty sure these are NATO surplus from the 80's.

I think they come on some of the military vehicles for fuel and water, i have two identical cans in military green, they have a small steel vent tube going from the outlet on the inside, and the inside white coating always flakes off, i don't use my that often anymore, they are too heavy and too bulky and only hold 20 liters.

Today i managed to get home before midnight so i made the effort to do some work on the little Lada, started by opening the new can of plastic body filler, mixing it and applying some more on the passenger quarter and rear panel, then i moved on the the machine shop, i took the the original alternator/ dynamo and the newer bosch unit, the mounts and pulleys are very different, after measuring them, i think it should fit, but i can't just swap the pulley, they have a different size shaft and one has a key, at first i thought about machining a new pulley from scratch but i don't have a scrap piece of aluminium or steel i that size so i left it so i can search to a piece or a pulley tomorrow, then i started on the radiator repair for the same project, it has a mest up out let, i made a new nipple from some thick wall pipe on which i threaded some threads but the fit was too tight, i'll need to start on it from scratch again.
IMG_20190123_173101.jpgIMG_20190123_173051.jpgIMG_20190123_174122.jpgIMG_20190123_174449.jpgIMG_20190123_185815.jpgIMG_20190123_202443_1.jpg

GoceKU, I don't think that you have to start from scratch with those fittings. You could line them back up on your lathe and continue cutting.

I may have forgotten to say that the wall thickness on the pipe i'm using wasn't consistent, and i broke thru, a simless pipe may be better to use in this application but i don't have a piece in this size, i'll measure the piece i'm using next more carefully to have to have enough material to make it fit.

Thats funny.
Most real ones have the maker, and date stamped into the bottom.

My diesel ones, I always leave a cup or more in the can, and shake it good, hoping to coat the inside, and keep the rust away. The gas ones, if not going to refill soon, I will add a 1/2 cup of oil or diesel, and shake it up also.

Did a spot of machining today.

The pin for the angle mechanism of my Power Brush got bent, and it's about $75 or so to order a new one in, so instead I made one from a 9/16" steel rod I have.

IMG_1333.jpg

I actually made 3. First one, I made a mistake while trying to creep up on the final size of .375", and made it too small, so it went into the scrap bin straightaway.

Next up is the bottom part, with the broken off tap next to it, the other end of the tap is in the end of the part (the end is threaded, for the pull-cable to screw in). Stupid error, was almost done, and tried going an extra revolution of cutting new threads before removing/cleaning the tap, and snap.

Middle part is the final piece, after going to the store for another tap.

Top part is the original piece, the end was bent over a bit more before I hammered it mostly flat again. It's a little weaker than it has to be, as they drilled & threaded the entire length of the part, whereas my replacement piece is only threaded to where the "pin" begins (the right side is the pin, the left side has a spring that goes over it, pushing the pin in, and a threaded rod w cable goes in the left end, enabling me to pull it up to change the angle of the brush).

Back