2019 POTD Thread Archive

If it ever warms back up around here, I might get around to building this. Simple Ball Turner. Found it on Pint@**&%

View attachment 286179

Looks like a fun project. Be sure to post pics!!!!!!! Id make one, but I found one for my lathe a while ago and bought it. I think I got it for a good price, otherwise that would be my next project!!!

Tonight i decided i need to work on something because nothing's getting done by itself, so one of the jobs on the lathe that i put off was making couple of wheel nuts for the little Niva, they are fine thread so i can't easily found them, so i started with some key stock, drill threaded it, cut a 60 degrees chamfer and parted it off i did this couple more times and was done. Then i chamfer the edges and did little debering on my bench grinder.
IMG_20190129_185052.jpgIMG_20190129_224227.jpg

GoceKU, Good to see you back and making progress

Well, today I had to make a miniature tap wrench, to hold a m2.5 x .45 tap. I need this small tap, in order to make the screw hole for the carbide insert, for my ball turner I am just finishing up... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about breaking of the tap in the tool holder. I'll keep you all posted!
20190129_214117.jpg20190129_214043.jpg
This is the link to my ball turner project, if anyone interested...
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/radius-ball-turner.76367/

Roadie, I think you need a hole in the top plate to access the set screw for the bit,
It looks like the set screw can be accessed be rotating the tool holder past the area of the top plate if I’m seeing correctly

Repaired my work-stool, the casters were failing (bearings were shot and one of them, the threads on it's pin stripped), and several of the welds for the center mount in the base (that the cylinder for the seat fits in) had broken, so the seat was leaning over and was fairly dangerous to continue to use. Straightened the mount out, then welded it up all the way around (vs the previous 4 short beads):
IMG_1339.jpg

Started making parts for my new project, mating a Bercomac Brush to a Husqvarna hydro walkbehind mower. First are the mounting plates that bolt to the drive unit in place of the mower. Also got some bushings, cut them in half, then welded some washers to them to make flanged bushings for the front caster wheels (for a total parts cost of $10, oem ones are about $10 each and take a couple weeks to come in). I may turn them down on the lathe so the flange is the same diameter as the tube they will be installed in.

IMG_1340.jpg

Today i did some emergency machining, i need to check the rpms on a diesel engine, some time back i bought this 40-50 000 rpm mechanical meter, it is a good quality tool but it did not come with any attachments so i had to made one, i started with a 8 mm piece of C 45 in my lathe, centre drill it, then drill it with 4,2 mm drill, then i drill it with 4,5 mm drill about 20 mm deep and follow that with 5 mm drill for the first 10 mm then i traded it for M6 which was the same thread as the door stop i plan to use for the tip. The door stop is flat top which will be hard to centre so i put it in my cordless drill and grounded it against the bench grinder and cut a 60 degree taper, i did check it against my lathe and is accurate then i took it to check that diesel engine and it work out perfect.
IMG_20190129_203703.jpgIMG_20190129_201500.jpgIMG_20190129_201517.jpgIMG_20190129_201808.jpgIMG_20190129_204131.jpg

Back