2019 POTD Thread Archive

It's an overhead cam. If you have a larger gap than spec, you will still have compression, but you will lose power from decreased lift and decreased duration. Engine will sound loud in the top end, and it is hard on your components. Usually, the valvetrain parts are very hard steel, and not prone to wear. Who knows what the Soviets were doing with their production and design... just look for damage on the cam lobes, lash screws, rockers, and valve stems.

The engine is overhead single cam 8 valve inline 4 cylinder, with manually adjusted valves, which should be adjusted every 10 000 km, and the adjusters look like they have never been touched, there was little noise from them and from the timing chain, but the engine starts very easy and runs smooth. This morning i talked to a old mechanic when i told him i found 1 mm excessive valve lash on manually adjustable valves, he started to cringe, like is something very bad, then he asked on what vehicle i told him a Lada Niva, his face started to smile then he said if it was anything else then a lada or an old fiat you should worry but that is nothing for those engines, just adjust them and keep on driving it those russian engines are durable as stone.

Kind of reminds me of the old Ford 300 inline 6. It was nothing to get 300,00 on one of those. I've know some farmers that might have changed the oil in them once 3 or 4 years.

My dad gave me this cast iron surface plate that he used when he was a pattern maker back in the 60's and 70's. Im just trying to get it usable. I soaked the top with Evaporust then some wire brushing. It looks like they had various fixtures attached to it because there are a bunch of drilled and tapped holes in it as well a plenty of pecks. I filled them all with JB Weld. I will carefully remove the excess with a surface prep tool, then hit it with a stone untill I can't stand doing it anymore.
One nice thing about these is that a magnetic indicator stand will stick very well.

I had some larger center drills, they had flats in them 90 degrees apart. This kept them from being used in a drill chuck. I remember seeing a video where John Mills “doubleboost” made a center drill holder out of an old taper shank drill. I grabbed a piece of mystery steel I picked up at a local flea market and machined my self one. Here is the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some larger center drills, they had flats in them 90 degrees apart. This kept them from being used in a drill chuck.

Unless the flats were the full length of the CDrill , why wouldn't they hold in a 3 jaw ? Just wanderin ? I have tons of them with flats that I use in extensions , and also in chucks .

Unless the flats were the full length of the CDrill , why wouldn't they hold in a 3 jaw ? Just wanderin ? I have tons of them with flats that I use in extensions , and also in chucks .

One of the flats was full length then 90 degrees was the second one. The center drills was designed to fit a face & center machine. There high quality center drills

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried my first attempt at single point threading. I goofed up once, because I didn't back the crossfeed out enough, before trying to move the carriage back to the start. It screwed up the thread a little, on the chuck side, but I'll be sure not to make that mistake again! Other than that, it turned out pretty well.286617

Today i spent over 3 hours adjusting the valves on the little Niva, the russians used 19mm nuts for valve adjustment and because on my car they have never been adjusted in 37 years, they did put on a fight, i broke two wrenches and had to use one meter long pipe to get them to loosen, after i adjusted them i install the freshly painted valve cover with a new gasket and some red silicone to keep it oil tight.

Take a close look at the threads on the adjusters and lock nuts to make sure they aren't stripped or galled. Mike
Today i spent over 3 hours adjusting the valves on the little Niva, the russians used 19mm nuts for valve adjustment and because on my car they have never been adjusted in 37 years, they did put on a fight, i broke two wrenches and had to use one meter long pipe to get them to loosen
Mike - I guess he doesn't have to worry about the threads having been stripped:)
Nevertheless a good suggestion ... for anything but a Niva! Quoting from another of GoceKU's posts:
"This morning i talked to a old mechanic when i told him i found 1 mm excessive valve lash on manually adjustable valves, he started to cringe, like is something very bad, then he asked on what vehicle i told him a Lada Niva, his face started to smile"
GoceKU - Your adventures with this crazy vehicle continue to be more and more fascinating! Thank you so much for the continuing story.

Last edited:
Back