2019 POTD Thread Archive

Thank you hman, it's been a rollercoaster of a ride and now i'm at low, but hopefully in the next week i'll finish the engine work and fire it up, that will give me some motivation to push thru and finish it.

Last edited:
I finished my dads old surface plate. There was still a layer of surface rust that I had to get through that required some sanding. I used my air palm sander first with some 320 then with 400. I never bother with finer paper I just keep on with the 400 until it is worn out. Then I stoned it and found a few high spots on the corners and a few places on the edges. I don't care if the edges are sharp. I just don't want anything high. It came out pretty flat and will be perfect for my use.286655

Another good looking day coming up , and I'm off ! Out to the garage to rummage for tools ! :)

hi all,

having lived in alot of different places (all rental) I've been dreaming of a good work bench for years and years. one that was the right height, didn't sway back and forth when I was cutting something in the vise and had space to organise all my tools and materials. Usual wishlist.

finally got off my butt towards the end of this winter's break and got started. Material is a mix of 4x4 fence posts, 2x4 from wherever and flat bits of wood that I've been squirelling away for the last year.

here's what needs replacing. It's not even really a work bench to be honest, just a bunch of shelving. It came with the house.

attachment.php

ten ton of stuff that was on/ in it
attachment.php

bare and nekkid
attachment.php

frame done. It's not entirely square, more a bit of a parallelogram, but good enough for the near sighted
attachment.php

rails installed and the first couple of drawers - thanks for the tip 3phaselightbulb! Got the 22" promark slides of Amazon for an excellent $60. Most expensive part of the build but well worth it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

also added a power strip, cut in half to make 2 sets of outlets. Each draw other than the ones above also has an LED light, more for the hell of it than any real practical benefit :)

frame installed, levelled and screwed to the wall
attachment.php

3/4" sub tops installed. Plywood on the left, pallet wood in the center and on the right. Also, new to me wood workers vise (Desmond of Ohio?) which will be a very useful addition.
attachment.php

I must have been too tired or excited to take pics before I'd filled it up, but here it is with the draw lights on and main garage lights off
attachment.php

I think the lights will be a bit of a gimmick as I can just slide the drawers out if I want to see what's at the back of them, but it was fun and didn't cost me anything other than some time.

main light on
attachment.php

anodising and electrolysis drawer
attachment.php

steel bits drawer. This one is the only one that's a little hard to open!
attachment.php

alu bits drawer
attachment.php

dead space in the corner now has a stand for my long and/ or round bits of scrap. Used a bit of 3" sch40 pipe from a building site dumpster dive and a 10ft long bit of 1 3/4" sch40 I picked up on the way back from work. That was an interesting few miles with it on the back of my bike, that's for sure.
attachment.php

now to use the bench to fix that rocker platform that turned out not to be fixed after all..

Well, thanks to Mikey's "Boring Primer", as well as quite a bit of personal help and tips, I am finally ready to have a go at boring holes. Again, based on his primer, I finished up a boring bar holder for my CCBI-250-4-5R. Got some CDCD-505-CG5 inserts for it, and I believe I'm all set....well as far as a .250" bar goes! Thanks again Mikey!!
20190204_214623.jpg20190204_214641.jpg15493390884565127686492253651720.jpg

So , you think I've been slouching ! Moved about 5 ,000 lbs of end mills and other junk up to my house getting ready for the yard sale . My back is killing me .

Well, thanks to Mikey's "Boring Primer", as well as quite a bit of personal help and tips, I am finally ready to have a go at boring holes. Again, based on his primer, I finished up a boring bar holder for my CCBI-250-4-5R. Got some CDCD-505-CG5 inserts for it, and I believe I'm all set....well as far as a .250" bar goes! Thanks again Mikey!!
View attachment 286945View attachment 286946View attachment 286947
Decided, if it was worth all the trouble making it, then its probably worth cleaning up one good time. I know it won't stay this way, but sure looks nice right now!
20190205_115813.jpg

Back