2019 POTD Thread Archive

I have the weekend off so i got up early and got this trike done, because the wheels are china junk, the hubs are not solid, they are thin pieces just press tighter, and the axle and bearings are what holds them together, so i had to make sleeves from that 24mm price of 4140 for both sides of the hub on both rear wheels, then i started machining the axle shaft, first i parted it off to length, the centre drill, drill and thread the ends to M8, then i cut down the ends to go in the new sleeves that have 12mm holes, this way the axle squeeze the wheel hub like the original axle did, then i made couple of locking reducers, to bring the 14mm axle shaft to the 17mm ID on the bearing and i incorporated a set screw so i can lock the axle shaft in the frame, i dimple the axle where the set screw needs to set, and continued with the assembly, last thing i did is to drill thru all three hubs and i installed thru bolt with protective cap to lock all the wheels together, just as i finished it the friend for whom i'm making it for, call to ask if i've started on it i told him to come and get it, first he did not believe me so i send him an picture and he was here in minutes to pick it up. I'm sure is 10X more solid than the plastic china trikes and i hope it bring joy and happiness to that kid.

Was able to check off a project I had been putting off for some time I had gotten a brown and sharp height gauge awhile back and found the threaded adjustment rod was well worn to the point that the bottom section could drop if not locked I went to remove the stud and it sheared right off. Alittle research found it to be a 2-64 nf thread pretty small in my book! I had two situations getting a .086 rod for stock and my lathe doesn't have a 64 option for gearing. I ended up buying a tap and die but needed to come up with the stock. I remember Joe pie having a video doing what I needed he ended up cutting down to .030 from like 1/2 stock in one swip. I tried one pass and was getting to much chatter. I did it in two cuts from 1/2 stock down to .086 which is what I need for a 2-64 thread. It took me three tries to get to my number. First time I got to .090 restarted and got to .088. Third time I got it to .087 and filed and sanded to get to my dimension. I think my problem was insert wear because on the third one I did a little cut to measure and was at .086 and by the time I got the length I wanted I was at .087 and it had alittle more resistance than the first two. Found out you cannot try doing a second cut on such a thin piece it just jumps the cutter and bends. The die cut perfect actually turned in my hand don't have a holder for such a small die. Made the rod alittle longer than original of 1". After the rod was made I needed to remove the broken part in the arm. I dialed it in on the mill and used a .090 endmill I had surprisingly. After that I cleaned up the parts and epoxied the rod into the hole. Turned out really good and surprised myself on the miniature thread cutting. Can't imagine single pointing something like that?

A couple of years ago I cut the dovetails in two blanks, made up one batch of holders but the other blank sat till today.
Today I cut the last blank up and made 7 more holders for my home made tool post.

Greg

Tomorrow weather permitting , I will be starting the parting out of the SB heavy 10 , and opening up " tractor season " . Got a 126 Cub and a small Deere coming . That warm couple of days last week has me wanting some early garage time . Come on springtime . :)

Today i wanted to finish last of the engines major parts for the Little Niva, i need to make a special V belt pulley so i can use a peugeot alternator to get rid of the 42 A dynamo and get more reliable electrical in the little 4x4, I started with a 59 mm solid slug. First i drill and ream the hole to size, i made the back to follow the alternator body as tight as possible so i can get the belt in the right place, then i parted it off and chuck it up backwards, then i face it and cut it down so the nut can reach i left just enough space so i can put a socket on, i managed to finish the shape and test fit it, tomorrow i'll cut the groove for the V belt.

I started taking my old cub apart today. It needs a number of repairs that have been growing every year. What it needs so far is a clutch, a carb rebuild, a voltage regulator, a complete tune up, all fluids (except the fan hub), and figure out what's going on with the governor.
The throwout bearing is seized up and wearing against the pressure plate.

I started taking my old cub apart today. It needs a number of repairs that have been growing every year. What it needs so far is a clutch, a carb rebuild, a voltage regulator, a complete tune up, all fluids (except the fan hub), and figure out what's going on with the governor.
View attachment 287395
View attachment 287396
View attachment 287397
View attachment 287398
The throwout bearing is seized up and wearing against the pressure plate.
Sure hope it's not your "plan A" for moving snow . . .

Bruce

Back