2019 POTD Thread Archive

As you know my Baldor went poof. So I had this Asian bench grinder that I’ve had for years that I picked up at a Cummings tool sale. I mounted up my rests I’d made up for the Baldor on it. So sit back and enjoy my video of putting Lipstick on a Pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last few days have been pretty busy at work, but i'm still pushing to get the Little Niva done and out of the big garage, so i've been putting in lots of time in body work, right after i finish the welding on the passenger front fender i smooth it and apply a coat of body filler, sanding that coat and applying one more i do managed to finish the body filler work on the roof, also applied couple more coats of the drivers side fender, front panel and all around the little car it appears to have a lot of shrinkage this body filler i'm using, so i'm going to leave it couple of days to shrink before sending, thankfully, i'm already at the bottom of the can, and i'll buy a much better quality filler next so i don't have to wait for it to shrink down.
IMG_20190602_154642.jpgIMG_20190602_154653.jpgIMG_20190602_154704.jpgIMG_20190602_154713.jpgIMG_20190602_182310.jpg

It appears that the end of the Niva project is actually in sight.
You must really be looking forward to the first test drive!

From the labours of this build I believe your middle name is Hercules.
I think a video as well as pics of the finished machine are required.

The end is in sight, but i have two jobs i'm really not looking forward to doing, one is the new exhaust, and the second is the transfer case mounts, the second one will be really difficult, partly because of my injured back and double difficult because of the welded floor, there is nothing factory to take measurements from to locate the transfer case and the gearbox. But i really appreciate the kind words and i'll share my explorations with the little Niva.

Today i spend couple of hours in the big garage, first i tried to loosen the rusty lathe chuck, i've been soaking it in penetrating oil for a week but won't move, so i decided to unscrew the three bolts at the back, one unscrew with some effort, the other two i had to heat them and then they unscrew, tried removing the backplate but it is also stuck, i soaking it in penetrating oil and left it overnight.
IMG_20190606_181406.jpg

drilled 3/8 pilot to clear the web, 4" deep 2.1/2" hss bit 250rpm. final bore 4 3/4" dia. the part before this was drilled with the 2 1/2"bit and board 10 3/4" dia. 5" deep. Want to know why they call it boring. :barbershop:

Back