2019 POTD Thread Archive

Made myself some dust guards for the surface grinder. I have the coolant system hooked up have been waiting to get these guards installed to test the coolant system. I plan on leaving th lower halves permanently installed and have upper pieces that can be clipped on for the taller stuff. Guards are made out of .060 stainless that actually came from the side of the barbecue I threw out this spring.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Got another job off the list - a handle for the fine downfeed handwheel on my mill. Made out of various pieces of scrap including part of a motor shaft (lovely steel) and the bushings from a pair of trunk lift struts :)

Checking for fit
attachment.php

the various parts
attachment.php

fitted
attachment.php

works very nicely and the end has a rounded edge for when I hit my head on it (not if, when).

Today after work i layed down to rest my hurting back, half an hour in a friend calls me,- What are you doing. I'm laying down resting,- What happened in which hospital are you in? What, nothing happend i'm at home. -You laying in bed during the day, i need to come over to take a picture that is miracle. Whatever, few hours in i got bored so i went in the big garage and tackle the passenger side upper bump stop for the Little Niva. I made one couple of weeks back for the other side so i had the measurements and marked and cut the pieces. Then i clapped them one by one in the vice and using a sludge hammer bend them in shape, also you can see the new body filler i bought today for the Little Niva, i went with the body pro F 211.
IMG_20190607_202447.jpgIMG_20190607_211604.jpg

I’ve been working on a small generator I own. Replaced the carburetor and the air filter was also trash. I wanted to adapt a air filter that I used back when I was kart racing to the generator. I machined up the adapter in the photo to fit the filter to the generator.
85f226f438262db24d712a0c91c9883e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a baby machining project after work today. The jack (a 5K lb weld-on jack) on my trailer wasn't winding smoothly anymore, making grinding noises, so about a month ago, I disassembled it and found that the bearing for it was missing any sign of lubrication, was thoroughly rusted, and the cage for the ball bearings had mostly worn away. I cleaned it, packed it with grease, and reinstalled it (and it was a little better), so I could continue to use it while looking for a replacement bearing.

Naturally, Princess Auto (where I bought the jack) has no parts for it, you're supposed to just buy a new one, but a local trailer shop had a couple of jack bearings in stock, I picked the one closest to the one in my jack (the primary measurements for me were the diameter of the screw shaft and the thickness of the bearing).

It's not as thick as the original bearing, and the center is too large in diameter, so I found a 5/8" washer to get the overall thickness close, and made a spacer for the center of the bearing so it stays centered on the jack's screw shaft (this spacer is the actual machining content).

Pictured is the new bearing, with the spacer and washer, along with the original bearing. $9 + some machining/assembly time vs $70 + cutting off old jack & welding on new jack...
IMG_1436.jpg

Today i decided to get something done in the big garage, so i brought all the tools near the passenger tire, all the parts, like the brackets, brake calliper, set down and put in couple of hours of work, to button up everything i started with setting up wheel bearing preload, with my torque wrench and angle gauge, then i drill and thread the upper and steering joints and installed zerk fittings and greased them up. Then i bolted the brake calliper to the hub and fit the rubber lines, but the steel lines are a real mess, i'll try to find new ones, but here no one's replacing brake line so i may have to visit a junkyard or order a flaring tool on ebay to make my own lines, then i open a package of seam sealer and sealer all the welds and seams that has gaps or small holes. The new strategy of putting everything near me then starting to work, work out well and my injured back seams to be getting better.
IMG_20190607_211622.jpg

I shoe horned the Bridgeport , a Micromaster SG , the Clausing lathe and an Atlas lathe into the garage over the past 2 days , along with four 4 wheelers , the Kubota , 2 zero turns and a multitude of other junk . It was quite a task to just get things to fit .

Back