2019 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks. I like it so much that I want to figure out how to convert my carriage and compound locks to levers vs. using those darned allen keys. I think one of them is an M6 socket head and the other is a 10-32 internal socket head.

Here you go. These levers are made to be adjustable as far as where the lever is when tight. Can replace the socket head bolt and use this to lock the cross. You push the lever straight down to adjust where you want it to engage.

Nicely executed, this looks like something i would done few years ago, nowadays i would just screw in a electric valve from a washing machine and wired in a switch.

Good idea thanks. There is even electricity right there for a fountain. That is the orange cord in the pic.

Thanks. I like it so much that I want to figure out how to convert my carriage and compound locks to levers vs. using those darned allen keys. I think one of them is an M6 socket head and the other is a 10-32 internal socket head.
I used to own a 9x20. Bought a bicycle seat quick release lever (M6) for the carriage lock. Here are a couple of current offerings:

As for the tailstock, see my post #2 in:

I use that seat post lever on my cross slide as well, works a treat.
I wanted to make one of those cam lock tail stock levers but as there is a shelf directly over my lathe I just hang the spanner on a hook, not as cool as the cam lock but was easier to make :laughing:

I've been busy last few days, but i did do some work on the Little Niva, i clean and sended few places on it, i want to put it in primer so it can shrink. I put 2 more coats on the rear trunk, also the roof piece and the front panel. My back is starting to be better i my try to finish the work underneath, its been on jack stands way too long.
IMG_20190615_105147.jpgIMG_20190615_105202.jpgIMG_20190615_105219.jpg

You do nice body work! All those primered surfaces look great.

You do nice body work! All those primered surfaces look great.

I'm not so sure, i do what you can call mechanics body work, i put too much plastic filler on and send too much off, for this off road vehicle should be good enough.

I'm not so sure, i do what you can call mechanics body work, i put too much plastic filler on and send too much off, for this off road vehicle should be good enough.
You probably know this, but if you get the grater style files, you can easily take excess filler off, when it is in the middle of the hardening process. I think it is about 20 mins, or so. You get the timing right, and it will easily take the filler off, and not clog the holes. Timed, and done right, it can save lots of sanding time.

Attachments

• Schaafrasp_Surf.klein.JPG
    Schaafrasp_Surf.klein.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
Here you go. These levers are made to be adjustable as far as where the lever is when tight. Can replace the socket head bolt and use this to lock the cross. You push the lever straight down to adjust where you want it to engage.

I hate those darn things . Constantly stripping the heads in here at work and I have to replace them daily . I would use a nut and pass thru ratchet FWIW .

Today i tackle the Little Niva's LPG (propane) conversion. The logical place to start is the gas bottle, propane tank i have many tanks in all different sizes and shapes, but no one fits like i wanted. Most common place is to strap it to the back of the rear seat, here i can put 80 litre tank but i don't need that much fuel, i can drive across my entire country end to end with 25 liters so i'm taking that as a measurement. I test fit all my small LPG tank and non will fit sideways, so i went to couple of car scrap yards and bought this 27 litre tank i loosely put it in to see, it may needs a stand to raise it to clear the wheel well, but it leaves me a lot more trunk space and make the vehicle more usable, also is a newer tank with all the safeties and i may change the safety valve with a tested one and a digital level sender. As a part of the deal i bought a evaporator and a gas valve with filter, all in: tank, evaporator, valve for 15$ a great deal.
IMG_20190615_182956.jpgIMG_20190616_094654.jpgIMG_20190616_094659.jpgIMG_20190616_094557_1.jpgIMG_20190616_094601.jpgIMG_20190616_094713.jpg

Back