2019 POTD Thread Archive

Today i got the day off work and my back is finally better, so i stopped with the LPG and continued with the transfer case mounts, i put in about 10 hours of hard work, this involved welding upside down, drilling cutting, and fabrication on my back. Started by making one more crossmember and mounting them on both sides, on the passenger side i decided to mount it to the floor with 3 bolts because i wanted to leave space for the exhaust from there i made and welded tabs for the mounts, and welded the 5 th mount to the frame and made a small bracket to bolt to the back of the transfer case, to stop it twisting under load, after every bracket i remove it and fully welded it to stop it twisting, after all was done i ground the edges smooth and painted it first with primer then with some black paint and left them to dry.
IMG_20190615_183042.jpgIMG_20190615_183057.jpgIMG-209798cfdd1ad562399b2286723a5192-V.jpgIMG_20190617_140443.jpg

Been working on the shop on this little decorative wine shop rack for our house. Delrin, Lexan, aluminum and brass.
f3ef4eeed3ab0fd1e1196462fbde97ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today didn't go as planned, i started with doing bodywork on the rocker panels, the plan was to finish the body work on them, apply seam sealer on the floor pan from undernight and together with the rocker panels, passenger side wing and floor pan undercoat everything with bedliner, but midway of applying the second coat of plastic filler a freak rain storm rolled in, from a sunny day it became the perfect storm. My neighborhood is pretty high above the city, so no real threat of flooding but both my garages are couple of meters under the roads, there was so much water flowing on the road that it flow in my garage, the big garage got just a little amount just enough to soak the cardboard undernight the little niva but my machine shop got flooded, i managed to cought it in time and devert the water and only had to drain only a inch of water. The storm lasted few hours in which i got soaked head to toes and that was the end of the progress on the little niva. I hope the cardboard drys till tomorrow so i can make up what i had plan to finish today.
IMG_20190617_140502.jpgIMG_20190617_140519.jpgIMG_20190617_140534.jpgIMG_20190617_140523.jpg

Today after work i went straight in the big garage, started with changing the cardboard under the little niva, and seam sealed the floor pan all the small holes and every weld where i've put in a new piece of metal. The seam sealer i used needs 120 minutes to harden, so i started on the rocker panels, sending the plastic filler and applying new coats, i also did some more body work one the front wings, then i prep all the panels for the bedliner. I end up using 3 bottles, that is about 5 kg of material, i had to go up and down with the air pressure to get the texture right for the rocker panels, the nivas have texture on the rockers and are painted body color just a bit on the rocker panels. Then i shoot the undernight the front passenger wing and all the spots i missed on the floor pan. Yesterday was a setback but today i got done as much as i could in the time i had.
IMG_20190618_200917.jpgIMG_20190618_200930.jpgIMG_20190618_200942.jpgIMG_20190618_200951.jpgIMG_20190618_201027.jpg

I sold my D1-8 collet closer on the bay as well as a 44" tow behind mower on CL ! :encourage: I unfortunately have to scale things down to get into my remaining space . I'm making progress .

Today was a tiring day in the big garage, i did more and more clean up, and made the garage even more of a mess, i needed to remove the LPG tanks from the Little Niva that i used to choose which to use, so i decided to move them in the storage shed, also i made few more trips moving gearboxes and other spares to the shed. That was ended by another one freak rain storm. This one was way less powerful and shorter, the one on tuesday was 70 liters per square metre i did dig out lots of scrap steel from my spares manly car body panels and broken gearboxes, which i may try to scrap tomorrow.

I had to do some high-powered math to convert 70 l/m^2 into the units we tend to use - inches of rain. Assuming I didn't do a blooper, that 2 ¾" (7 cm) of rainfall ... quite a "worm drowner," by anybody's standard! Glad you and your garage survived!

Back