2019 POTD Thread Archive

After I'd bought my current house/shop, and before I had the moving van deliver all my stuff, I took the time to hang several lengths of Unistrut from the shop ceiling, intending to use them to drape power cords overhead to my machine tools. Over the past few days I've brought over compressed air as well. The previous owner had plumbed a number of air lines to various spots around the shop walls.

I started by fabricating a "manifold" of copper pipe, with 12" drops intended to serve my lathe, the two small mills, and my RF-30 clone. Air enters the manifold at a 12" long side arm. After attaching the pipe to the Unistrut I ran a hose from the wall to this side arm. Then I added three 3-foot "whip" hoses at the machine tool locations, with a shutoff valve on each. The valves let me turn off the air without unplugging the quick connects.

Now (among other things) I can start using the Kool-Mist I bought a gallon of a couple weeks ago!
kHPIM6036.jpgkHPIM6038.jpgkHPIM6041.jpgkHPIM6044.jpgkHPIM6047.jpg

I picked up punches at the local flea market. They are a mixture of Starrett and NOS Craftsman US made punches. I wanted to store them in a a rack on the bench. So I rounded up some material hanging around the shop.
3792969110c8e6f42999f63909434a9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today i couldn't wait to get back home to get to work to finish the exhaust on the little Niva, i started by removing the section i tacked up yesterday and fully welded all the joints, then i moved on the the rear muffler i had to miss couple of components, like shocks, brake parts, diff stops but got them tack welded and then i had to choose the tip, the back muffler had twin 50mm stainless pipes exiting only tip i had bigger then them was an old aftermarket sport muffler with this tip, so i cut it off and used couple of bends and some sheet steel to close it from the back, then i bend up and welded couple of mounts, then i separated the front from the back muffler and used a flex clamp so i can install and remove it. Then i spent 2-3 hours welding every joint twice to ensure no leaks and then i painted the entire system with heat resistant paint. The system i build is a bit overkill for a Lada but i could not even imagine how bad did the factory 35mm exhaust system flowed. I forgot to mention i didn't forget to weld in an oxygen sensor bung. I'm getting excited to get the engine started to hear the sound of the exhaust but i'm determined to finish all the system one by one and then get to tuning the engine. All in i worked around 10 hours in the garage today and i'm exhausted.
IMG_20190623_113650.jpgIMG_20190623_165654.jpgIMG_20190623_193136.jpgIMG_20190623_200312.jpg

GroceKU - that's a whole lot of bends in the exhaust pipe! ... and it ended up looking SO bright and shiny - is that the paint? No wonder you're "exhausted"!!!

I wish i had the time and patience to hand polish the entire thing to make it shine like a mirror but i took the short cut, i used Silver high temp paint. Is more to protect the steel welds from rusting.

5 days off and worked non-stop . Besides cutting grass , painting , going to a bull roast for my deceased buddy , unpacking my daughters things , I got to do some things in the garage . Re-arranged a few shelves to gain floorspace for the mill , lathes and SG . Still don't have much room , but I AIN'T done yet ! :big grin: Moved what felt to be 1000 lbs of chucks and crap up from the basement and got them somewhat fitted into 3 Vidmar drawers . Lotta weight and $$$ in these 3 drawers alone . So , 42 chucks and counting , and I haven't made it down to the shop yet . :rolleyes:

Jeff and Mike . Grinding wheels and SHCS counterbores are pictured on here . ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 57
I don't think you got NEAR enough o them thar chucks :)

Last edited:
I don't think you got NEARA enough o them thar chucks :)

I think this is a third of what I originally owned . Been selling them over the years but they keep multiplying . :grin: I'm down to a Bridgeport mill , think I can give a few up ? :rolleyes:

Back