2019 POTD Thread Archive

I have had to split my 1971 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel 3 times now to replace the the dual disc clutch -----every time I let one of my kids use it:(
The hardest part for me is removing the front end loader from it without the tractor moving on its own. Lots of jacks and blocks.

I worked for John Deere dealership for a few years
Took many apart for various mechanical issues
We had a special track system to keep it aligned
Every model was similar but all was a pain
It took more time to dissemble than to make the repairs

Tractors, tractors, they are the workhorses of the countryside, many people have reached their age because some of the manual labor has been done by machinery most of it powered by a tractor. Compared with cars, trucks, buses and boats they are the easiest to fix only thing to be aware is, nothing is light everything is cast steel and 5x bigger than it needs to be so it can last. Tractors i've worked on splitting them to do clutches, diff gears, brakes, seals is not that hard if you plan it out, i've used my cars, with a bar bolted to the front to separate them and put them back together.

I've been busy at work but this evening i had some time to spare and get couple of things done on the little niva, most of them are to convert it to run on LPG (propane), first thing i did is to shorten the tank mount, i had to weld in two bolt in the ends so i can bolt it down, the law says it need a bar in the back to be more sturdy in case of a rear end collision. The front of the tank is secured by rubberised straps and is against the back seat. So to Place the tank i had to install the side trim and back seat i also washed and installed the rubber floor mat for the trunk it is ripped in many places but i still installed it i can always install one more on top of it. Then i drilled and bolted the plastic connectors (vents) that go thru the floor, the Niva is difficult to install things here because is has big frame rails all over, so i had to used extra long bolts and bolt everything, then started to bolt things one by one, mount, straps, testfited everything, dis assembled and painted all the brackets and final assembled everything with new lock nuts and big washers, then i moved on the mounting the LPG filler neck, i put it next to the petrol cap inside the fuel door with the adapter i made on my lathe couple months ago.
IMG_20190703_205220.jpgIMG_20190703_205232.jpgIMG_20190703_205246.jpgIMG_20190705_200459.jpgIMG_20190705_200516.jpgIMG_20190705_200712.jpg

Aside from having my wife help lift the half axles in place, I did all the work myself. The shop hoist worked out well; a great investment. A second hoist would have made the job easier. Reassembling the two halves was a bit of a problem. I wheeled the rear end into place with the rear wheels. I had attached an 8' length of 3" channel to the draw bar which let me tweak the orientation horizontally and vertically. Moving slowly and checking alignment often was the key.

I'm glad your experience working with acrylic was good.
One of my neighbors has a large channel iron beam stretched across the ceiling in one part of his shop - with about 9 or 10 feet of ceiling clearance. That setup is perfect for splitting large tractors. The clutch in my 383 actually gave out working on his farm, so we did the repair right there. With two of them and one of me, it went unbelievably smoothly.

Regards,
Terry

nothing special, but made a replacement handle for a friend's microwave out of yet more scrap stainless (5/16 and 1/2)
attachment.php

When I was a kid, a good friend of our family (actually a cousin) was working on his John Deere. I don't remember which model, but it had dual rear wheels and AWD, so was pretty big. He h ad it split front & rear. The Front came off the supports and he ended up with it on his knee. No one was around, so he ended up lifting it back up onto the support himself. He was a biiiiig man, who had previously lifted and carried my Grandmother's 300# safe on his shoulder after our farm was destroyed by a tornado, so I can just imagine him doing this. He never worked on tractors alone after that.

One of my neighbors has a large channel iron beam stretched across the ceiling in one part of his shop - with about 9 or 10 feet of ceiling clearance. That setup is perfect for splitting large tractors. The clutch in my 383 actually gave out working on his farm, so we did the repair right there. With two of them and one of me, it went unbelievably smoothly.

Regards,
Terry
Were I able to suspend a length of channel. I probably would have. Unfortunately, my barn has less than 8' ceiling height and if I were to straddle the main beams with a length of channel, I would decrease the clearance to about 6' which makes that approach impractical. I did use one of the main beams to lift the cab for clearance. I have split my much smaller Ford 8N using the beam as a sky hook though.

Were I able to suspend a length of channel. I probably would have. Unfortunately, my barn has less than 8' ceiling height and if I were to straddle the main beams with a length of channel, I would decrease the clearance to about 6' which makes that approach impractical. I did use one of the main beams to lift the cab for clearance. I have split my much smaller Ford 8N using the beam as a sky hook though.
You gotta use what you've got! I'm just thankful to have a neighbor that has one.

Regards,
Terry

Back