2019 POTD Thread Archive

This morning I found my Hardinge 5C indexer on the tractor seat in the driveway . My buddy borrowed it over 2 years ago and I forgot all about it until a recent thread on here reminded me of it . It's back home now and will be cleaned up once again .
:)

WILTON BABY BULLET RESTORED AND MODIFIED. Here is my latest completed project, a 1971 baby bullet. I cleaned all the weld splatter, wire wheeled to bare metal and painted with PPG Concept. made a SS mounting plate and used SS button heads then trimmed to correct length rather than putting nuts on the back side. Made a brass bullet to replace the freeze plug, this required placing in a 4 jaw as the hole is offset. Bore till it cleaned up then made the brass .005 oversize, placed a piece of plastic wrap over it mixed up some pig putty an set a 1" diameter punch to flatten. When hard I pressed it in. Made two new copper jaws and replaced the 10-32 philips heads with SS Allen bolts. Turned down a 5/8 SS rod for the acme screw threaded one end and made a identical button for the opposite end placing O-rings on each end as bumpers. I used Moly grease on the Acme threads and red bearing grease on the barrel. After 45 + years of use it now ready for the new generation. BABY BULLET 001.jpgBABY BULLET 002.jpgBABY BULLET 003.jpg

Well done! Cool vice. Although I am familiar with several Wilton vices, I’m not familiar with this model. Just how big is it?

Chuck the Grumpy Old Guy

My wagon has 4 wheels, two doors and a lot more things in it. Today the weather changed, we got few rainstorms but more important the temperature dropped, and that increases the productivity greatly. First i put the engine bay back together, installed the freshly painted and modified air cleaner installed new air filter and installed the splash shield under the engine, i had to cut a hole in one for the fan switch to clear i also install the LPG valve for adjusting the mixture. Then i focused on the passenger door, it took me half as long as yesterday, because my expectation wore a lot lower. Than i went underneath install a speedo cable because it was missing, checked all the bolts i've installed. And then i had to fill both front and rear diffs, gearbox, transfer box with oil so i got a big water bottle filled it with oil and used an oil tank pump to pump it, this was way less messy than other cars i've done, the height makes a lot of difference. I did fire it up in the air checked all the 4WD locks, high and low range got the new oil circulated. Then i started to put the wheels on and let it down on the ground, i drove it backwards and forwards to swipe under it, today i finished a lot of things on the little niva in short time i hope everything goes like this from here on.
IMG_20190712_151316.jpgIMG_20190712_151414.jpgIMG_20190715_154725.jpgIMG_20190715_154706_1.jpgIMG_20190712_160527.jpgIMG_20190715_153906.jpgIMG_20190715_153836.jpg

Cute little wagon! Lada Niva- four wheel drive correct? What year of manufacture?

Last edited:
woohoo! what a journey!

Rick, lovely work. I have a 3" bullet that is on my list for a tear down and repaint this summer. Any gotchas to keep an eye out for on dissassembly?

1982 was a very good year, comrade :)
I read about the Niva, it was tested in Siberia and the Ural mountains- if it can drive there it can drive anywhere
The Soviet military decided they wanted some, sort of like the American Jeep

Back