2019 POTD Thread Archive

Today, i spent half day gardening and the other half cleaning the mess from the broken water main from yesterday. While i was in there i spent few hours to clean out the side bay so i can park the little niva in there, i had a halfcut there that i cut into pieces and i'll scrap it tomorrow only thing to move left is a one engine and a complete drivetrain.
IMG_20190715_153928.jpgIMG_20190715_153949.jpg

turned down a couple of bushings a friend will weld into his truck frame as upper damper mounts
attachment.php

had some help writing an exam for Thursday
attachment.php
I have your dogs twin brother.

Haven't ever posted on this thread but here are a few things from the last few days.

Hole center to center distance finder. The pins were in the scrap pile.
DSCF4097.JPG

Mod to mill vise for holding large discs
DSCF4098.JPG

Large stock bender for shop press. Very heavy duty!
DSCF4099.JPG

Thanks for looking. Hope it inspires you.
Aaron

Today i'm back to work on the Little Niva, few days ago i decided to install trailer hitch receivers on the back and the front of the niva. The front will serve more like a winch mount and i can install other attachments to it. I started by cutting and welding a bar to go between the front bumper pipes, i also welded them to the chassis. Then i made me a class 3 hitch receiver from some angle iron and some flat stock, i used measurement that one of you guys helped me with. I did a lot of welding and my welder did went in to over heat protection couple of times and finally stopped delivering wire, first thing to check the welding wire and i've run out, this is the 5th or 6th spool of welding wire since i've started the little niva. The plan moving forward is to ground the new and very hot hitch receiver smooth and mount it very sturdy i'll also mount couple of towing hooks.
IMG_20190717_160702_1.jpgIMG_20190717_160656.jpgIMG_20190717_160648.jpg

Loosely based on the Fiat 124 but hopefully a bit more reliable....

In some areas yes but rustproofing still suck but the russians did used double the thickness of the italians so it takes few years to rust thru, many of the plastic parts are replaced with aluminium ones but what remains plastic or rubber is rubbish, also electric are not always reliable. But as a whole they are much tougher than the fiats, the punishment that Niva's can take and still continued like nothing happen is astonishing, here is funny video of a standard niva climbing stairs.

Today i'm back to work on the Little Niva, today i installed a fresh spool of wire in my welder and then spent the next 4 hours welding. After fully welding all the pieces and boxing them with 5 mm flat stock i drill and thread the holes for the towing hooks, i had to cut down couple of engine head bolts to use to the hooks but they do fit nicely. Then i put some cardboard between the body and the new crossmember i just made and welded it in place, the new hitch receiver hides nicely under the front bumper and will serve as a added structure in case of an accident not that the 3/8" aluminium bumpers are week. I left it clean steel to paint it together with the rear hitch receiver and bumper mounts. I hope you like seeing detail tings like this.
IMG_20190717_174432.jpgIMG_20190717_184537.jpgIMG_20190718_185149.jpgIMG_20190718_185543.jpgIMG_20190718_192845.jpgIMG_20190718_193016.jpg

Back