2019 POTD Thread Archive

I made a metric M1 rack today of 48 teeth.
I had been making some change gears for my old China lathe last week and that got me to thinking about making a rack. I had made a 90 degree gear box for my mill last year but things happened and I never really made anything with it.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/90-degree-milling-head.70747/#post-593757

GEDC4039.JPG

GEDC4041.JPG

I even shined it up some.
Thanks for looking
Ray

I spent a day in my shop on company time. I worked on a project for a job that requires hundreds of feet of coated rigid 1" conduit to be installed exposed on the wall of a water treatment tank. This conduit can be ordered with the radius required but the lead time far exceeds the completion date. We bought a pipe roller from HF and tried it out on a stick of pipe that was not coated. It worked great.
When the coated rigid arrived we discovered the pipe roller would not work.
I have a good supply of structural steel that I have accumulated over the years.
I grabbed a piece of 4x6x3/16 tube steel did some cutting and drilling, added in a little flat bar and welded it all together.
I got lucky and the modifications were a success. Now I just need to paint.
20190719_175641.jpg

I thought my little flywheel really needed spokes but without a mill I couldnt think of a cool way so I just drilled some holes'
First off I used my simple indexer to place 8 marks.
cshaft5.jpg
I used the sharp tool bit to scribe a cross line
cshaft6.jpg
Then remove from the lathe and centre popped then set up on the drill press with my nice strong clamps and drill the holes.
Completely forgot to take a photo of this.
so only the final shot.
cshaft7.jpg

Today i've been cleaning the big garage, i did manage to clean out the side bay of the garage. Moving the diesel engine wasn't that hard but moving the entire drivetrain was much harder than i thought then i finish welding the seat mounts in the little niva and then i moved it in the bay and swept the entire garage floor.
IMG_20190719_192748.jpg

A simple project that took way longer than I expected. Fasteners for an ice cream machine. The plastic ones had cracked and had stainless thread inserts, stainless on stainless for something that gets used often is a recipe for disaster.
Roughed the body from 2 inch aluminum, then drilled and bored for the insert. Made brass inserts 2 thou over size. Warmed the body for a shrink fit and dropped the inserts in. Milled the finger grips then powder coated. Worked on them when I had time, ended up taking about 6 hours ! He gives me pots of work, will have to cut the time in half.

Greg

Today i started on the rear bumper mounts and the rear hitch receiver, the old mounts had lots of rust so i decided to make new ones from some very thick wall tubing. The rear mounts are reinforced when i rebuild the back, couple of months back so i'm confident this will be sturdy. For mounting the bumper i had to weld up couple of broken bolts also made couple of plates and with the bumper place where i wanted it i weld it in place, i also cut a thick piece of square tubing for the hitch receiver and made me a receiver from some thick angle iron. Working with thick steel is much easier than rusted sheet metal. Thanks for looking
IMG_20190720_175143.jpgIMG_20190720_113231.jpgIMG_20190720_113250.jpgIMG_20190720_204853.jpgIMG_20190720_204917.jpgIMG_20190720_204903.jpg

Back