2019 POTD Thread Archive

Yesterday I took advantage of my day off and spent it in the garage and basement cleaning up , organizing , tossing out stuff . What a job I have on my hands . After I get the dogs checked out at the vet today for limes disease , it's back to the garage . I gained some much needed space though . I believe I have gotten rid of one of the extra mowers on hand , an Exmark Lazer 60" zero turn , so only a Cub 126 is left to go . I'm trying to get back out of this tractor hobby but they keep showing up , but I AM trying . ( the trash pickup guy is not gonna be happy this morning ):grin:

Posted up today this modified compound drive. It’s already came in handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today i did not have too much time to spare but i wanted to finish something on the little niva. I just finished mounting the rear bumper but one of the plastic side cap was broken when i bought the little niva so i ordered a new one from russia and ordered drivers side rear, i've been ordering parts for years and intansanaly use drivers and passenger side inside of left and right to avoid confusion, never the less they send me the wrong side, so i had to fix the broken one, i had to add a big piece on top that was missing, so i cut a piece of ford's interior, knowing ford used china parts, them being communists as well the russians i figured they should find some common ground, hahaha. I reinforced it with some wire mesh from the back side and gave it a skim coat with some body filler for bumpers but it seems it's gone bad because it doesn't want to go on smoothly, i'll send it off tomorrow and buy and apply a new one, so much effort for a 3$ part.
IMG_20181012_172844.JPGIMG_20190722_144711.jpgIMG_20190722_144759.jpgIMG_20190722_144736.jpgIMG_20190722_144753.jpgIMG_20190722_145840.jpg

The work you have done on the Niva is simply amazing. When you're finished, you need to give all of us a ride you know... :)

A set of cabinets has been keeping me out of the machine shop. Will return soon.
Birch plywood cases with butternut faces that I sawed a few years ago.
Unfortunately the upper cabinets are facing the wall,

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Greg

Nice. I've worked with a lot of different woods, but never butternut. Nice colour when it's finished?

-frank

Thanks frank, its a fairly soft wood, the tree produces a nut about the size of a wall nut but has very little meat inside. Comes out a medium brown when sealed and varnished.

Greg

Nice looking cabinets Greg. I have some wood butchery to do, but it won't be on the short list for awhile. Mike

All that talk of driving the little niva got me thinking i need to tune it up, the carb is just mounted after rebuilding it, so i printed out the instructions for setting the timing and the carb and midway released the instructions are worthless. For the ignition i used a vacuum gauge and a timing light but Lada says it should be set >30 degrees so i played around with it and is happiest at 18 degrees funny thing this car is so old it doesn't even have ignition advance, i thought i'd has internal mechanical but no it has only a brass thumbwheel for the driver to advance it if is skipping. For the carb i had to take it apart couple of times to set the fuel level but when i got it right makes a real difference now it has more of a deeper tone. I also did an oil change, the old oil was really black and dirty, is also evident from where the engine is copied, the oil filter fits Fiat's and Alfa's. The plan for tomorrow is to finish the rear hitch receiver and drive it around to work out some of the bugs before i drive it 15km to the paint booth.
IMG_20190722_154512.jpgIMG_20190722_160720.jpgIMG_20190722_160651.jpgIMG_20190722_160657.jpg

Back